Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striking camp
A question about marching camps during the Gallic Wars:

Was it common practice for the army to burn down a temporary camp once it was left behind? Polybius supposedly said so, though I haven't been able to find the quote. Does anyone else mention this, or is there archaeological evidence to suggest that this was Caesar's custom?

Any info or references are appreciated!

Vickey Kalambakal
Although it is not from the time you are asking about, Josephus mentions this as standard practice during his time. Check out De Bello Judaico, 3.89 forward.

I guess I should look through Caesar.

Kevin
Thank you. I'll check that out.

Burning a camp in enemy territory seems logical--why leave a fenced, large enclosure for someone else to occupy? But I suppose there's reasons for NOT burning it as well (giving away your location, for one).
Quote:A question about marching camps during the Gallic Wars:

Was it common practice for the army to burn down a temporary camp once it was left behind? Polybius supposedly said so, though I haven't been able to find the quote. Does anyone else mention this, or is there archaeological evidence to suggest that this was Caesar's custom?

Any info or references are appreciated!

Vickey Kalambakal

If I remember correctly, Polybius was writing around 140 B.C.E. probably too early for the time period you are looking for.
Rich Marinaccio
Right--Polybius died around 120 bc, and Josephus about 100 ad. So the time I'm interested in (~55 bc) is actually closer to Polybius.

Archaeological excavations of Roman forts in France may yield the best evidence--that'll be the next item to search for.
Quote:Archaeological excavations of Roman forts in France may yield the best evidence--that'll be the next item to search for.

Verlag Philipp von Zabern has a reasonably up-to-date book out on the Gallic Wars called 'Caesar und Vercingetorix' (written by C. Godineau, V. Guichard and M. Redde, published in 20000, ISBN 3805326297, and retailing for around EUR 25). I have only skimmed it, but what I saw, I liked, and the publishers generally have a good reputation (they also did most Junkelmann books). This could be a starting point.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I thank you, but as I don't speak German, and the book is not available in English (I checked), I think its lessons would be lost on me. Smile