Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greeks in Wales
Apparently, there is a growing body of evidence for contat between Ancient Greece and Ancient Britain (imported pottery, for example) but I'm talking about a re-enactment near Cardiff, attended by The Hoplite Association.

Monday, 30th June was a public holiday in the UK, so we had a long weekend and spent it at Cosmeston Mediaeval Village, participating in a multi-period re-enactment. We fielded ten Hoplites in full panoply,
(count 'em! - as our American friends would say) eight Scythian mercenaries and five Ancient Greek civilians.

Looking to the future, we trained many young boys (and girls!) in Hoplite drill. We also did a mock-"Troy" duel for the sheer hell of it and then did some more sensible duelling with practice weapons. A jolly good time was had by all, including two very charming young Greek ladies who came to visit us with their friends from Spain. We had one of the ladies, from Thessaloniki, armed in Hoplite fashion for a photograph, which will return to Greece and show them that their ancestors are honoured here.
Hi Paul,
That sounds good! Have you got some photos to illustrate the event?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
There will be some photos, I think. I will post them if I can.
I haven't yet been able to discover how to post pictures here. In any case, there are now a number of photos available and it would be best if you could see them all. They've been posted on our website at <www.hoplites.org> . There is a link marked "Cosmeston" on the Home page. As to the New Recruit, well...you had to be there. I'm the poor swine with the outrageously small shield with the terrifying design on, getting slaughtered by the phalanx of the Nanoi. (You'll see!)