Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osprey - Sassanian elite cavalry
The picture on the from shows a projectile launcher shooting out a apout 7 arrows ...any idea what this is ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I'm wondering the same thing!
It looks like some kind of crossbow, don't know what type.
This should be a good title.
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
[Image: S7131AL.JPG]
Now THAT's what I can a good McBride!

Only.. how come this one ain't yet published, while the Osprey Elite series already goes up to 130???
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Check this out:
It looks like legionaries wearing 2nd century and 4th century armour!?!?!?
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_d ... iew=spread
Johnny Shumate
I guess that answers the question how long the segmentata stayed in use Smile

and either that Osprey seems to have joined the ranks of the 'Everyone knows what Romans look like' pubblishers or they have some archeological evidence up their sleeves that I haven't heard of before. I wouldn't put either past them.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Is that some type of Roman officer in the background on the white horse? Looks like he has dropped his sword(shot with an arrow?)?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
This seems a good platform to launch a stupid question for the uninitiated (aka me), but does anyone know when to use (or who uses) Sassanian and Sassanid?

It obviously seems that both are used but is one *more correct* than the other? Or is there a difference I am missing...?

Cheers for your help!
Christoph Rummel
I think the big blond German stereotype-looking guy is supposed to be Julian, getting his. No sign of the Saracen who nailed him though. Roman armor aside, the Persian cataphract impaling the unarmored Roman has his spear held across the neck of his horse, not held parallel against it's body, as per almost all existing art. He's likely to either go flying out of his saddle or at least lose his spear...

Gregg
Christoph

Quote:This seems a good platform to launch a stupid question for the uninitiated (aka me), but does anyone know when to use (or who uses) Sassanian and Sassanid?

It obviously seems that both are used but is one *more correct* than the other? Or is there a difference I am missing...?

I have always thought Sassanid was the singular term (perhaps incorrectly). Here is part of a sentence from "The Late Roman Army" by Pat Southern & Karen R Dixon.

"and James has claimed that the example from Dura, which apparently belonged to a Sassanid Persian, substantiates the belief that the late Roman ridge helmets were Partho-Sassanian in origin"

Hope that helps?

Andrew
How did Julian get it? An arrow or lance?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Andrew!

Many thanks for the info - though it appears I am slightly more confused now than before.. :wink:

in fact - there's not just a sassanid on this forum, but also a sassanian! Help!
Christoph Rummel
They're everywhere, slipping through the limes when you are not looking. :lol: No seriously I use the name Sassanid because at the time of registering with RAT I was in the process of researching the Sassanian Dura helmet. The reconstruction is below.

[Image: durasassanianridgehelm1.jpg][Image: durasassanianridgehelm.jpg][Image: durasassanianridgehelm2.jpg]

Having checked my Osprey's "Parthians & Sassanid Persians" book, I too am confused. They seem to be all over the place with their Sassanids and Sassanians.

Simon James in his Dura book seems to use the term Sassanian. I have had a look for the term Sassanid, but so far have not found one.

Andrew
Johnny -

It was a thrown spear. As I recall, an Arab auxiliary on the Sassanian side threw it. The idea that a Roman, possibly a Christian, killed Julian is a myth. In fact I remember reading that Roman troops quickly chased down and killed the guy who threw the spear…

Gregg
Quote:The idea that a Roman, possibly a Christian, killed Julian is a myth. In fact I remember reading that Roman troops quickly chased down and killed the guy who threw the spear
Wouldn't they just. "hey, I saw it! He did it. It was that brown guy on that grassy knoll!"
Also known as the 'fall' guy..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I think the big blond German stereotype-looking guy is supposed to be Julian, getting his. No sign of the Saracen who nailed him though. Roman armor aside, the Persian cataphract impaling the unarmored Roman has his spear held across the neck of his horse, not held parallel against it's body, as per almost all existing art. He's likely to either go flying out of his saddle or at least lose his spear...

I really hope it's not supposed to be Julian "getting his," else my opinion of Angus McBride's research (or that of Dr. Farrokh, the author) will have sunk to new lows. Romans in lorica segmentatae and Neidermormter-type helmets in AD 363? Yikes, I think not.

It could also be Severus Alexander's Persian campaign, ca. AD 232, or Gordian III's, or even the defeat or capture of Valerian ca. AD 260. Then again, those shields and that guy in the foreground wearing the Intercisa-style helmet certainly look fourth century.... sheesh, this painting's a real missmosh of eras and equipment. I anxiously await the actual publication of the book to see the explanation.
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius