Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tunica hems
ok, so i was looking over Dan's lovely photography book Wink and i start really looking at the details people put into their tunicas. i can see a nice hem at the bottom, but non at the sleeves or arm holes. i'd say 9 outa 10 arent finished at the sleeves. is their a source for this? or is it just laziness on the part of the reenactor. reason i ask is i'm making my tunica now and wanta be as correct as possible if i can.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Given most Roman tunics were woven in one piece, they had selvedges all around. Finishing those is strictly optional (though it was done at least on the Gallo-Roman Reepsholt tunic). Given we make ours from cut cloth, we do not enjoy that luxury.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Dan's is a very nice picture book, isn't it?
My son Spencer was utterly fascinated.
He kept asking me, "Daddy are these real Romans?"
I tried to explain reenacting to a five year old.
I'm not sure that he really got it until we went to a historical display event.
But at that point he decided he liked the more modern periods because they have cannons. Sigh. :-( (
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Try to show him some catapult display... :lol:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Yes, Frustraiting, Ive been shopping around for a cheap floor loom, and with about 2 months work (and some time allotted for trial and error), I plan to have a 100% accurate tunic! "selvedges all around" type.

Someone told me recently that there is even evidence of one peice tunics where the hole for the head is woven in!

Thats way too complicated for me, I plan to make 2 squares and sew them together! For a total ammature such as myself, Using the loom is going to be complicated enough!

-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
Gordak, just from a theoretical point of view... :wink:
Roman tunics were woven with the warp running from side to side (or from cuff to cuff, as you prefer) The opening for the head is just a slit if you mark the initial and final points on the warp, then you only need to interrup the weft at the left warp thread and to start it again at the right thread, so you obtain a slit with border selvedges.
Hard to explain.. if you've understood a word of what I've said, I'll be happy! :oops:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I do Understand! (After alot of figuring it all out) Smile

Does anyone claim to have a 100% accurate tunic in their 1st century kit?

I havent seen any in online photographs yet

Im just curious, as I plan to try to make one on a loom... (yes im a bit crazy)

-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
Aitor, I understand that now that I have been researching warp weighted looms and have been planning on building one. (just didn't get to it this event). Far as I know, the only book on WWL's is Martha Hoffman's book and she spends more time on existing Scandanavian WWL's where she shows people operating them.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, it is difficult to find good bibliography... :? Some drawings and remarks are made on Karl Schlabow's old book (in German) on (IIRW) Iron Ige textiles from North Germany (or something like that)
The system can be quite straightforward if you're weaving a tabby, but you nead three heddle rods to wave a twill and if the twill is a diamond one, then the arrangement of the groups of warp threads on each of the weight s can be nightmarish (at least for a non-weaver like me! Confusedhock: )

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
I did find sites with excellent diagrams of how a WWL works and how to build one:

[urlConfused6hyz4iu]http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Warp/WARP.HTML[/url]

[urlConfused6hyz4iu]http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ep02/20wwl.html[/url]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Please don't tell me that, in order to be a "true" reenactor, we now, in addition to banging out our own armor, fashioning our own weapons, and cobbling our own shoes, have to WEAVE OUR OWN CLOTH????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:Please don't tell me that, in order to be a "true" reenactor, we now, in addition to banging out our own armor, fashioning our own weapons, and cobbling our own shoes, have to WEAVE OUR OWN CLOTH????

Do you mean to say Flavius Crispus that you are not already mining your own iron ore?

Whatever happened to state supplied equipment?

Graham
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Please don't tell me that, in order to be a "true" reenactor, we now, in addition to banging out our own armor, fashioning our own weapons, and cobbling our own shoes, have to WEAVE OUR OWN CLOTH????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

See, that's why I've given up on 'true reenactment' long ago. 'Close enough' is fine by me.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:Please don't tell me that, in order to be a "true" reenactor, we now, ... have to WEAVE OUR OWN CLOTH????

You dont HAVE to ... but its just next level for many re-enactors. After 12 years of recreating I decided to do the same with my outfit ...

Now I have cotton trousers, linen underpants, woolen tunica .. all from hand woven fabrics.
Cap is hand felted from natural sheep fleece, thread for socks was also hand spun...
and now I feel better [Image: bum.gif]
result below Smile

[Image: rzymy_02.jpg]
[Image: rzymy_06.jpg]
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
Quote:
FlaviusCrispus:215mp16x Wrote:Please don't tell me that, in order to be a "true" reenactor, we now, ... have to WEAVE OUR OWN CLOTH????

You dont HAVE to ... but its just next level for many re-enactors. After 12 years of recreating I decided to do the same with my outfit ...

Now I have cotton trousers, linen underpants, woolen tunica .. all from hand woven fabrics.
Cap is hand felted from natural sheep fleece, thread for socks was also hand spun...
and now I feel better

My friend, you deserve to feel good about your effort-- you really do rock! Splendid stuff all around.
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius