Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Front Line ... the Very Front
This is the biggest question I have about the Roman army, and ancient warfare in general. How was it decided who stood on the frontline, who entered combat first? Who took the full force of that first high energy impact?

Veterans at the front? But you risk them dying. But they perform well.
Newbies at the front? Well they are more expendable, but if they break and run? Actually they probably have no option other than stand and fight. But how do you get the recruits at the front to march orderly into battle? Whether Roman, Syrian, Mayan or Mesopotamian?

This question really vexes me. Do any ancient authors shed light on this?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
It's been discussed before in these threads:
[url:3n3whypv]http://www.romanarmy.nl/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3372&highlight=veterans+front[/url]
[url:3n3whypv]http://www.romanarmy.nl/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1614&highlight=veterans+front[/url]

They put the veterans at the rear during the Republic. I'm sure I've also read they were at the front at times. The initial attack was often the deciding moment, and the veterans were sometimes placed up front to try and attain a quick victory (I seem to remember). Mixing the veterans with the new recruits could also mean cool heads watching the youngsters and encouraging them.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah, nice thread discussions. Thanks, I'd forgotten about those!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distributing men along a long front without chaos dcbrown 1 72 04-15-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Artwork on front and back of 4th century Shield Antoninus05 2 1,352 03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  talk in front of school aged kids Chuck Russell 9 2,068 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell