Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilum Colettes
Avete omnes!

I was just looking at the wonderful collection of artifact images on the Exploratio website and came across this picture of three Pilum colettes: [Image: pilumcolettes3wz.jpg]

and I was surprised by the projections at the corners- it makes them look like the battlements of a castle- does anyone know what their purpose was?

Vale

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Looks like decoration Matt...given the collette's function and it's position I can't see it being anything but that...unless it was to facilitate the breaking or bending of the iron shaft somehow.

Legion: TBD
Perhaps these are ones that were never used, and the intent was to heat them, mount them, then tamp the points down inward to provide... I dunno, stability? Or so the collet doesn't work loose easily in trainig (some of mine already have, and I don't put a fraction of the use on it the Romans would have).

Severus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,239 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert