Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tight leather straps
When, for example, adding leather straps round the joint of a crucifix shaped furca...

What is the best method for getting leather straps really tight AND getting them to stay that way. Whenever I do this, the staps always loosen.

I am guessing that there is some correct procedure involving soaking, boiling etc.

Anybody care to let me in on the secret?
You have to knot them of course Tongue

I think just soaking them with water will do the trick!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Come to think of it, maybe I am using the wrong type of knot. I have been using a reef (square) knot.

Is there a best choice of knot?

Does leather shrink as it dries out?
I don't really know what the best knot is...

The leather will shrink, yes.

Best regards
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Gaius

You also need to waterproof the leather afterwards, with beeswax or something. If you don't, and you're out in the rain, the leather will slacken off again.

Andrew
I would recommend using wet rawhide as it dries it will shrink even tighter.
As for knots I started with an Ashley #1255 Transom Knot and followed it with a #2114. Transom Lashing. These are from the "Ashley Book of Knots", which is the bible of the knotting world. Note on the Transom Lashing: after multiple turns it is necessary to wrap around the center drawing the lashing even tighter.

Oh, I really like the idea of coating with beeswax after the rawhide has dried out. I will have to try it.

[Image: Furca_Lashings.gif]
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Oh, I also like 1/8 inch hemp cord/ropes for these sorts of applications. Hemp ropes were used in the Roman navy, but I'm not sure about the army.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius