Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Baldric Clasps
Avete omnes,

Can anyone point me toward some online sources for images or diagrams of actual Roman baldric clasps or reconstructions from the 1st c. BC to the 3rd c. AD? Any help would be most appreciated.

Valete

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
According to a well-known friend of mine, there are no baldric clasps whatsoever shown on any Roman friezes, monuments, etc. Many baldric decorations, often in the form of metal stids/discs similar to what's on the cingulum apron, are to be seen (the Feyum portraits) but nothing that can be definitively called a clasp. Surprising, when you consider they are standard fare on most reenactor's equipment.

Severus
Replika from Holger Ratsdorf: [url:1sgwbvir]http://www.hr-replikate.de[/url]:
[Image: nr181_norm.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Salve

I think it's assumed that pieces are for cavalry equipment.
Lucius, Severus,

I agree totally with You, I was always wondering: why should the Romans construct such a superfluous thing like a baldric clasp. You really don't need it to hang the baldric on Your shoulder. IMHO it makes only sence on a horizontal belt, but on the other hand I have to admit that the construction of the 'baldric claps' itselves requests some vertical load to keep it closed reliably.
Greets - Uwe
Yet, fasteners for small straps are found. An interesting one is in the possession of my friend Terry Nix. It was found in a Roman fort in Germany and dates from the 1st c AD. It has a Star of David on it.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Indeed these ideas are all partly why I asked the question in the first place; clasps seem to be quite common on reconstruction baldrics, and yet the only evidence I've seen of an actual artifact is a single line drawing- which didn't have any explanation of why it was so identified.

I don't find their existence or use difficult to understand at all as one rarely rarely finds any kind of leather strap that cannot be opened along its length anywhere- it could simply be a decorative element as well (Gods know the Romans had enough of that kind of thing on their equipment)... and ESPECIALLY since intricate things with no discernablely advantageous purpose like the segmentata lobate hinges existed. I'd just hoped to find the evidence on which the assumption of their widespread use is based- it's very interesting to hear that there's little or no sculptural depiction of them. That makes me wonder how the artifacts were identified in the first place...

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ave et salutatio Caius Tarquitius:

Can you please contact me off-board at [email protected] ? I have those items which you obtained for me from Holger Ratsdorf (back when you were in the USA, and Paul Montello had put me in contact with you).
I ahve tried to get in touch with Holger, but he has not e-mailed me back.

Salve et Magna gratias:

Gaius Octavius Drusus
Michael Garrity

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius baldric lenght and design Christophorus Rubrum 15 3,713 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Crispvs