Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any online guide to Aurelian Column?
Salutate, fratres!

As most of us are aware, there is a wonderful website which provides detailed images of Trajan's Column, namely this one:

http://cheiron.humanities.mcmaster.ca/% ... index.html

Now, is there anything like this, either online or in print, for the Column of Marcus Aurelius? The only images I've been able to locate are scattered through books like Birley's biography of Marcus Aurelius, Michael Grant's "The Antonines," and that big tome "The Art of Rome." The online resources are exceptionally poor-- only a couple of travellogue-like write-ups and photos of the whole column taken from a goodly distance. In other words, I haven't been able to find any kind of systematic reference work which looks at the column in total and provides images of all or most of the important scenes.

Many scholars are dismissive of the Aurelian column, calling it a poor imitation of Trajan's Column, but I find it quite fascinating. The soldiers depicted on it are definitely a generation or so removed from those of Trajan, and there are definite differences in the arms and equipment shown. It can't be entirely derivitive-- the artists and sculptors must have been recording what they observed, albeit sometimes in a stylized fashion. Anyway, if someone can direct me to a link or publication, I'd be greatly appreciative!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
I'm afraid not.... Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need information on Aurelian Caelus Aurelius Bassianus 4 2,886 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
  Aurelian`s elephants Philhellene 21 4,430 03-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat