Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii, Mainz, Fulham Statistics
I currently have a Pompeii Gladius and would like to acquire a Mainz and a Fulham to sort of complete my collection. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the ratio of these weapons were in the early to mid first century. Do I have to buy 4 or 5 more Pompeiis before I can get a Mainz or a Fulham? I don't want my collection to be disproportionate to the actual historical period. What if I buy only one of each when in a real Roman Legion of this time you might see dozens of Pompeii before running across one of the older styles.

This could get really expensive buying all these extra swords I don't really need in order to represent all three types. But I don't want my collection being ridiculed as inaccurate.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Thanks.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
You may also need to consider geography. I may be wrong, but wasn't the Fulham type restricted to Britania?

The time partitioning is fuzzy, but the Mainz is earlier and the Pompeii later.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Yes...relax about your ratios. This is one statistic that can't be ascertained. If you're collecting swords because you enjoy them for their aesthetic value, then buy them based on that, don't get wrapped up in such technical issues.

Legion: TBD
I meant this post in jest.

The thought of insisting that the ratio of swords in a collection must match the historical record amused me. Not unlike some claiming that we must have 80 legionary reenactors in order to have a centurion.

Sort of a calculus of the absurd.

I was obviously tired.

In the future I will try to remember to leave humor to the professionals.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
No Apologies nessecary
It was a funny post, I laughed Smile

-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,602 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 5,723 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Mainz/Fulham-Mainz Scabbard Decoration Sketches jak1970 6 2,464 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Last Post: jak1970