Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. National Legion?!
terribly sorry, I meant APERIMUS not Apellamus=we yell :oops: , I could have clarified the not legatus and not tribune with and not one legaus and not one tribune, as in we don't have any, but in many actual informal roman writings this would have been implied, my sentence structure is actually as an informal roman document may have been written, everything else is translated by you exactly as I wanted it to mean. I will write in english though. I could have also included AUXILIA MILITES

I have seven auxiliary soldiers, what cohort would we show?, and not a single legatus, and not a single tribune, this things the public will not see.

in actuality many provincials had as imperfect a knowledge of latin grammer as 2nd year students today. also many things are implied in letters to friends.
aka., John Shook
Quote:QUID NON LATINA

VII AUXILIA HABEO QUID COHORS APELLAMUS ET NON TRIBUNUS ET NON LEGATUS PROPTER HOC PUBLICA NON VIDEBUNT
TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX PURI SERMONIS AMATOR
Tflaviusambiorix (is) a lover of pure speech.

QUID QUID LATINE DICTUM SIT, ALTUM VIDETUR
Anything said in Latin sounds profound

Quote:John, in the future can you post in what is generally accepted as a language everyone can understand (that would be english)?

Secondly, you may want your latin to actually make sense...

...As you can see, that's awful sentence structure and use of grammer.
RIDENT STOLIDI VERBA LATINA
Fools laugh at the Latin language. :lol:
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Hey, don't give me that attitude! I had someone who uses latin as a 2nd language translate it, and who also is in their last year of study for their Masters (or was it a PhD) in Roman Military studies...so nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaaaaah!!!!

Legion: TBD
3m = LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

REVERA LINGUAM LATINAM VIX COGNOVI
I don't really know all that much Latin

I wish I did. I am currently looking for a Latin teacher for an elementary school Latin club in Northern Virginia.

Anyone know anyone who might be interested.
Off topic I know.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

hey, I never denied it was bad latin, it is just the fact that most people within the empire wouldn't have spoken much better latin, I too use latin as a second language, I speak latin 10% of the time at least, I speak terrible latin, but just listen to people who speak english as a newly learned second language, and you will see very similar speech patterns.

HOC was not not the best word either, but you also see people who have english as a second language use "this things" often.

also for 'propter' you might want to translate that sometimes as "because of" not that it makes much difference.

"RIDENT STOLIDI VERBA LATINA"
come on marsvigilia, you know darn well verbs are always at the end of a sentence in classical latin. :twisted:
aka., John Shook
Avete,
I have to agree with Hibernicus that having our two units separate has led to improvements in both. I suspect this will continue as long as both units exist, and that this sort of keeping up with the Jones' is actually healthy. The desire to make ourselves the best and most accurate educators and reenactors possible is much more easily directed with the assistance of a friendly yardstick nearby. Though, it helps that we're doing different time periods so that things don't unintentionally become too competitive.

I'm also wondering why Dan's view of a national group is "All military, all the time." Apparently he completely discounts the efforts of the various civilian reenactors that are attached to many of our units. It is my belief, and I don't think I'm alone, that the politicians, merchants and just plain farmers of the Roman world did their own part to shape the world we live in now. After all, there is a reason we call our legislature the Senate...

There is also a continuing attitude of dissing displays and educational events. Dan has stated that "National Legion" subgroups will be allowed to participate in events where the public actually comes out to learn from the reenactors. How benevolent. Sure, I love the actual immersion experiences and the feeling of being there, but I also love to see someone really get it that these soldiers we portray were responsible for creating the environment we currently live in. Discovering that by knowing what caused the disintegration of Rome, we might be able to slow or reverse the disintegration of our own society. Having someone suddenly understand that history matters and that we can make the future better by learning from it.

This is done one on one, not with with a hundred drones using the same shield design. By dedicated historians who are busting their podexi to know and to teach. Not by Millite du jour wearing his loaner armor for the first time.

If there's only three guys in Buffalo Crotch, or wherever, that want to be Romans, then there are only three. They shouldn't be held under the latrines because they want to show the local schoolkids what a Centurion looked like.
Si vales, valeo,
Gaivs Manlivs Magnvs
Centvrio Princeps Cohors I Legio VI Victrix Pia Fidelis
Just looking at some of the returns that have been found, showing how many troops were available to the centurions.... look at the Vindolanda returns of the auxiliary unit, for example. One centurion has 6 men , one has 9 men, one has 11 men, one has 45 men, 2 have control of 337 men and one has 296. Hmmm I suspect that any auxiliary group with 6 men can show that historically they are correct to have a centurion, based on document "Tablet 154" :twisted:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Just looking at some of the returns that have been found, showing how many troops were available to the centurions.... look at the Vindolanda returns of the auxiliary unit, for example. One centurion has 6 men , one has 9 men, one has 11 men, one has 45 men, 2 have control of 337 men and one has 296. Hmmm I suspect that any auxiliary group with 6 men can show that historically they are correct to have a centurion, based on document "Tablet 154" :twisted:

Just because it may be historically accurate doesn't mean that it's right. Those Roman's just didn't know what they were doing. Imagine a poor barbarian being skewed by a soldier from one of these undermanned or mini-units. Sure he's dead, but did he have a realistic experience?
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

[size=150:1e9msyk8]I[/size] love it... so Dan, now we're all correct in what we do ;-) ) Maybe I need a transverse crest ;-Þ
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
of course, we only have this in relation to auxiliary units, so you guys in the "regular" legions need to have more men under your centurions.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Oi - you lot - stop winding each other up.

Did any of you lot think of helmet covers? I think extra-ferrus vegetation was worn when called for, and gave a decent amount of protection against rocks, etc.

Anyone tried to re-enact this?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Did any of you lot think of helmet covers? I think extra-ferrus vegetation was worn when called for, and gave a decent amount of protection against rocks, etc.
I am unclear what you mean. Could you provide us a sketch?
Thanks.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "National Roman Legion" jkaler48 144 34,120 09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Buggnkat