Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Staff" and other stuff
Jenny,<br>
I might as well ask... exactly WHO is your staff. How do we contact them (your yahoo e-mail often bounces back). How about a more prominent posting of the rules, along w/ some kind of message each time they change.<br>
<br>
As to booting people, well it's your board, but rebellion is a tricky thing -- I've had a list explode and rebel because of a moderator and his trying to re-assert control over the list. It was quite messy AND nasty... people STILL <strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline">HATE</span></em></strong> each other 3 years later. ;-( All I can say is <em>"...the more you try to tighten your grasp, the more members will slip through your fingers"</em> (to paraphrase someone)... Once they set up an alternate, that's it -- you've lost them AND control.<br>
<strong>DMV</strong><br>
P.S. like the new title ;-) <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze<br>
<br>
Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.</p><i></i>
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Marsh, i think once we can consolidate our ideas as to what has been going on at RAT which could use the improvements, we'll send jenny the email, and then we'll all go from there.<br>
<br>
I tried to post someting on moderating and the thread got deleted.<br>
<br>
Anyway, as you know, there are many points which need to be addressed, and I need your thought on them.<br>
<br>
Get back to me regarding what the others have said if you could. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Marsh,<br>
<br>
Glad you like the title.<br>
<br>
I can be reached at jrsclineATyahoo.com, and since I purchased 25mb of storage space, nothing should bounce again. Also, everyone has an Ezboard Inbox (if they turn it on), and I know you know how to use it cause that's usually how you mail me.<br>
<br>
Staff are listed in the Profile section on the main page. Moderators are listed in the forum headings. Posting guidelines are found in the Round Table, and that fact is advertised in the opening text on the main page.<br>
<br>
Matt is right. Please mail me your thoughts about whatever's bothering you. I am always ready to listen to anyone about admin philosophy, off-list. More professional and more efficient.<br>
<br>
Alternatives to Roman Army Talk? Totally support them. They're so necessary. Not every peg fits into every hole. If someone doesn't find what they're looking for at RAT, whatever the reason, it's really okay. Nothing but goodwill and best wishes to them. RAT kind of sucked the wind out of some older forums' balloons and I always felt badly about that. So, choice is healthy.<br>
<br>
In the spirit of comradeship, here are some other discussion groups focusing on the Roman army:<br>
<br>
Title: Roman Reenactment List at Yahoo! Groups<br>
Link: groups.yahoo.com/group/RomanArmy/<br>
Description: "The Roman Army Reenacting e-Mail list is a place for Roman reenactors to openly share ideas, how-to's, and comradeship. This list is meant to help the new reenactor as well as the veteran and to make all of our impressions better."<br>
<br>
Title: Roman Army Forum<br>
Link: www.network54.com/Forum/79193<br>
Description: "This forum is for those interested in the Roman army from the Republic through to the end of the Empire. It's history, organisation, equipment, campaigns and battles, and the people associated with the army. You do not need to log in to post, please feel free to contribute to the discussion."<br>
<br>
And there are many, many more forums out there for people to discuss Roman civilization and life. Exercise the freedom to associate!<br>
<br>
As for hate, life's too short for that. All that's expected in our forum is civility and acceptance of the rules and admin decisions. If enforcing that makes me Moff Tarkin, okay! (Not enforcing it makes me Kofi Annan.) Anyway, let's continue the conversation via email.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
(Not enforcing it makes me Kofi Annan.)...<br>
Hee hee hee hee heexcellent...<br>
And Jenny, since you're an officer in the US Army and that many here are also in the US army, or were in the US Army, I just have a question:<br>
They're all like that in the US Army?<br>
Boy, must be a tough job to be an officer in the US army...<br>
Sorry, no offence meant.. Just a friendly joke and I certainly won't participate in that debate. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Staff are listed in the Profile section on the main page. Moderators are listed in the forum headings. Posting guidelines are found in the Round Table, and that fact is advertised in the opening text on the main page.<hr><br>
<br>
I am missing something, what "profile" section? As for moderators, really, w/ the size of RAT, you need about 15-20, so someoone is on all the time. And they need solid guidelines and real power to deal w/ stuff.<br>
<br>
I think the rules should be posted in EACH forum...<br>
<strong>DMV</strong> (Marsh) <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
<br>

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Marsh, thanks for your comments. See the welcome text at the home page every time you visit? Little print tells you exactly where to go to read the Rules for Posting. Not sure it's really necessary to gunk up every forum with paragraphs of TOS.<br>
<br>
The board profile is found at the bottom of the main page.<br>
<br>
Moderators -- I have always wanted some more. Trying to stay on top of RAT, when I (and Rich) are as busy as we are, is like trying to herd cats!<br>
<br>
Unfortunately, people rarely put their money where their mouths are. I'm speaking of no one in particular; it's just easier to gripe than it is to pitch in, is all. We haven't exactly had an outbreak of volunteers in the last 3 years.<br>
<br>
However, I have my eye on some candidates my friends and I think would make good mods, and if the Mohammeds will not come to the mountain, the mountain will be coming to them.<br>
<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
I dunno, I make it so my lists "auto-mail" all the members the rules once a month ;-Þ Anyway, I'll message you off board, so it will not cause any more troubles.<br>
Best, M. <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
<br>

Not to forget the CENTvRIO's vine staff...........<br>
<br>
hehehehehe<br>
<br>
M.VIB.M.<br>
<br>
<p>V COH II<br>
LEGIO X GEMINA<br>
EX GER INF</p><i></i>
Antoninus -- Sorry I missed your post earlier. It's probably better if I tactfully demur.<br>
<br>
MVM -- "Nobody Loves a Centurion" as one of our esteemed author members might say.<br>
<br>
Just call me Moff. That'll do nicely.<br>
<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Hahahahahaha<br>
<br>
Say Jen... i have checked your photo again...<br>
<br>
but i cant see any physical similarities between you and Moff Tarkin................<br>
<br>
hahahahahahaha.........<br>
<br>
may the dark side be with us!<br>
<br>
Regds.......<br>
<br>
Sithlord MARCvS.....<br>
<br>
M.VIB.M.<br>
<br>
<p>V COH II<br>