Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek SCA persona needs help...
Greetings !!!

I am looking to portray a Spartan in the SCA, from the Persian Wars circa 490-480 BC .. I currently have an English persona so this will be in the far future.. About a year and a half... I know nothing about Sparta... I was directed to this board as a great starting point...

Any links or tips you have would be appreicated...

Thanks !!
wbf

aka

Jeremiah Johnson
Welcome! Chaire!

I can't suggest any literature on Sparta (unless you read German), but if you're planning to fight you may want to look out for the name

Peter Connolly

(can I get this to blink in neon colours, typeface 72-point?)

He has written and illustrated a large number of books on Greek and Roman arms and armour, and I don't think anyone has done it better yet. There is also an Osprey book on the Spartans, but I dopn't know anything about its quality.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:(can I get this to blink in neon colours, typeface 72-point?)

[size=200:ofm88rq0]Peter Connolly[/size]

I think that's the best we can do... :wink:

Yes, his books are a very good resource, for instance Greece and Rome at War. There's some good to be found in John Warry's Warfare in the Classical World. Paul Cartledge has written several general histories of Sparta - you might try The Spartans : The World of the Warrior-Heroes of Ancient Greece .
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
On the practical side of things, you might check out Matthew Amt's webpage on re-enacting a Classical Greek warrior: http://www.larp.com/hoplite/

I think Nick Sekunda had a hand in the Osprey book. Some of his work is very good, and some is less satisfactory (from what I understand).
Felix Wang
I almost forgot Lazenby's The Spartan Army, if you can stand the typeface... Sekunda says in his Osprey volume (also called The Spartan Army) specifically that he has a completely different view than Lazenby. The Osprey is useful but I wouldn't use it alone -- actually, I'd say the same for any Osprey book.

In terms of the nature of warfare, you could do worse than read both Victor Davis Hanson The Western Way of War and Hans van Wees Greek Warfare: Myths and Realities together.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
LOL a little light reading then !!!

I will head out to my local library and see what I can did up..

Thanks for the help so far guys !!
wbf

aka

Jeremiah Johnson
I found both Connolly's and Hanson's books very easy to read and I find there's a lot of material available that's presented very attractively, so don't be put off by the number of sources suggested.
Dear wbf some tips:

1) the famous /\\ is unlikely at the Persian war era.
2) there were two royal houses in Sparta (hence the 2 kings). Many hoplites whould have two animals in their shileds to represent these (double lions, double roosters) - yes rooster-fights were popular in Sparta!
3) Olympic games winners had the privilege to fight arround the king. Sometimes they crowned their helmets with olive branches.

I cannot attach an image but if you want give me an email address and I will sent it there.
Kind regards
Greetings all,

Well things have changed a bit, so here I am again...

The wife and I decided to go with Grecian persona's..

I am in the process of making my Corinthian, and will soon be checkin out the Linothorax, and Mulsculata pics and time frames to see which is going to be more protective..

Based off that info I think we will close the time frame up considerably...

So, I come to the matter of clothing...

I am not the best on a computer, and Google has fouled me up, I can not seem to find any "patterns" for grecian clothing...

I would appreciate any direction pointing or even settle for a half-assed wave...

I will have more questions to follow...

Thanks !!

JJ
wbf

aka

Jeremiah Johnson
Please do a small search in the Greek section.
Spartans had Doric roots so the 3 tribes Hylleis, Dymanes Pampfileis have their own decortation. Achean clans had triangles.
Best chances fore info in the shield devices thread but there are others too.

Kind regards
Quote:Spartans had Doric roots so the 3 tribes Hylleis, Dymanes Pampfileis have their own decortation. Achean clans had triangles.
Best chances fore info in the shield devices thread but there are others too.

Hey Stephanos,

Have you published the evidence for this yet? Preferably in english :wink: I would love to see all of the patterns and their linkages.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Greetings,

Thanks for the pointing hoplite14gr, appreciate you mate..

So, does any on these boards play in the SCA ??

If so I have some question for you... Please Pm me if possible..

Where could I find info on the types of bags, rucksacks,carts and such from the classical period ?
wbf

aka

Jeremiah Johnson
Quote:I found both Connolly's and Hanson's books very easy to read and I find there's a lot of material available that's presented very attractively, so don't be put off by the number of sources suggested.

Ehmm,sorry for the off topic but...I'm a little comfused...Pollis of Thespiae??? To whom do I have the honour to speak with?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
It is an old thread...
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]