Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persian Infantry levies
The infantry levies from around the Persian empire were generally not very good, although all the Persian Cavalry was first rate. I was wondering what infantry levies y'all thought were good fighters. I would put the Indian infantry towards the top.
please remember: the persian levy were conscripts, pressed to duty, with little chances to survive their first battle.
I know. But there were some levies that fought with more willingness than others. i just wanted to know what everyone elso thought.
I've read/heard somewhere that the Medes were pretty tough (but a lot of them were pros), as were the Cissians.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
In his relation of the battle at Marathon, Herodotus mentions that "The two armies fought together on the plain of Marathon for a length of time, and in the mid battle, where the Persians themselves and the Sacae had their place, the barbarians were victorious..."
However the term "Sacae" is quite vague and describes basically the steppe people.[url:3mxwz3d5]http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/scythians/scythians.html[/url]

PS: I highly recommend the site livius.org. It's one of the good things happening on the net.. besides RAT of course.. 8)
Pascal Sabas
Quote:In his relation of the battle at Marathon, Herodotus mentions that "The two armies fought together on the plain of Marathon for a length of time, and in the mid battle, where the Persians themselves and the Sacae had their place, the barbarians were victorious..."
However the term "Sacae" is quite vague and describes basically the steppe people.[url:3jvt0cwn]http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/scythians/scythians.html[/url]

PS: I highly recommend the site livius.org. It's one of the good things happening on the net.. besides RAT of course.. 8)

The Saka(Skythians?) were certainly reliable, also in naval engadgements the Phoinician Marines were considered tough.
From Herodotus and Plutarchos we know of Nuvian (or other African?) warbands "carrying horse sculls instad of helmets and having half body painted red..." They put a tough fight in Thermopylae but Spartan phalanx got the better of them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neo-Babylonian Chaldean Levies John Robertson 11 3,258 05-08-2020, 06:34 AM
Last Post: John Robertson