Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie Trailer for "Arthur"
It looks VERY roman...it seems this one might be more based on what happened as opposed to the romantic version like "Le Morte de Arthur" by Thomas Mallory. Here's a link for the trailer on Apple.com:<br>
<br>
[url=http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/king_arthur.html" target="top]King Arthur Trailer[/url]<br>
<br>
Naturally, the armour looks black again....I don't think hollywood will ever be free of this trend. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Just saw the trailer for the new King Arthur film (by the director of the film Training Day).<br>
<br>
This film seems to be set on Hadrian's Wall at about the time that Rome withdrew from Britain.<br>
The 'knights' are wearing a mix of 'Roman' armor, have standards, and look to be fighting Celts, or Picts or (?)<br>
wearing blue face and body markings. It's tag line is that this is the true story behind the oft told legend.<br>
(Of course every Hollywood film these days comes with the tag line "Based On A True Story."<br>
I'm sure Episode III will as well.)<br>
<br>
At any rate this might prove interesting, or at least amusing.<br>
<br>
Did anyone from this site happen to work on this film?<br>
<br>
Narukami <p></p><i></i>
Narukami,<br>
<br>
You are right about the 'True Story' remark! It so happens this movie is neither based on anything historical, nor any story as told in any form I have ever read it (and I collect Arthurian books and stories..).<br>
<br>
This 'new' fabrication is a bit of a mix: part Roman ruins, part Arthurian medieval tales, part Conan meets Xena, part modern theory about what 'could' have been a Roman Arthur (but totally misinterpreted).<br>
<br>
Good action scenes though, or so it seems. Just forget all the claims and what you know of either the Romans, Roman Britain or Arthur, and you can enjoy the movie as a modern action show.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 4/7/04 12:57 pm<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Rob<br>
<br>
While we are on the subject of Arthur, many years ago I read a few 'facts' about Arthur and owndered whether any late-romana-philes might be able to true or false the 'facts' I read.<br>
<br>
Was Merlin based on a Welsh wiseman called Emry?<br>
<br>
Was Excalibur originally called Caliburn and earlier still called calydwaech (sp?) and in all liklihood held no magical properties but was in fact a high quality steel weapon.<br>
<br>
Is the 'sword in teh stone' more the process of refinement of steel from ore than a sword driven into a stone/anvil?<br>
<br>
Has all this come from the mention of historical Arturus in some document I forget the name of.<br>
<br>
Was the love triangle of Lancelot, Arthur and Gunievere (sp?) a Victorian addition to the tale.<br>
<br>
Was Lancelot added by Geoffrey of Monmouth to please his Norman over Lords.<br>
<br>
Was the England that the historical Arthur united more likely to have been Cornwall up through to Dorset and Southern Wales.<br>
<br>
That should do as a starter for ten ... I don't profess to be an Arthur scholar, justa mild fan who read a book years ago and this is what stuck in my head.<br>
<br>
All the best <p>Graham Ashford
<hr />
[url=http://www.ludus.org.uk" target="_new]Ludus Gladiatorius[/url]<br>
[url=http://pub156.ezboard.com/bromancombatsports" target="_new]Roman Combat Sports Forum[/url]<br>
[url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk" target="_new]Roman Army Talk Forum[/url]<br>
[url=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk" target="_new]Roman Civilian Talk Forum[/url]<br>
</p><i></i>
Averte<br>
<br>
I don't know anything about any of that other stuff you guys wrote about.. I'm just looking forward to more scenes with Una the Bondage Pixie*.. you can catch a glimpse of her in the trailer..<br>
<br>
Balmete!<br>
Maximus Minimus<br>
<br>
* so named by Scyth ...or someone <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
<br>
Yes, I claim the term 'Bondage Pixie', and claim any and all royalties stemming from the usage of this term...or not.<br>
<br>
Scy <p>LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
'Only' 10 questions? yeah, right. But my beef, so I will try and answer them here.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Was Merlin based on a Welsh wiseman called Emry?<hr>Nope.<br>
That would be Emrys, btw, the Middle Welsh version of Ambrosius. But while Emrys in the myth is based on the historical 5th-c. character Ambrosius Aurelianus (mentioned by Gildas), Merlin is based mainly on a north British medieval character called Lailoken.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Was Excalibur originally called Caliburn and earlier still called Calydwaech (sp?) and in all liklihood held no magical properties but was in fact a high quality steel weapon.<hr>Yes, the first time Excalibur is mentioned is by Geoffrey of Monmouth (12th c.), Wace (12th c.) and Layamon (13th c.), who call it 'Caliburn'. This is presumed to be a later version of 'Caledvwlch', but the earliest source of that, the Mabinogion, was only written in the 14th c., which is quite late. All describe it as a magical weapon from Avalon, which also does not appear earlier in the legend.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Is the 'sword in the stone' more the process of refinement of steel from ore than a sword driven into a stone/anvil?<hr>By the 13th c., Excalibur is described first as drawn from a rock or an anvil. By the 15th c., Thomas malory describes Excalibur as the second sword of Arthur (received from the Lady of the Lake, dressed in white samite, who hands our king his weapon of justice.... But I digress). Arthur is supposed to have broken the 'Sword from the Stone' in a 'wrong' duel with Pellinore, in later versions against Lancelot.<br>
The 'refinement of steel' may be a modern explanation for the symbol of a rock or an anvil in the story, sure, but the word for a large stone (sarsen) is often linken to the Welsh word for Saxon (saeson), and sarsens were often seen in legends as the work of Saxons. So, maybe we have a corruption here of a sword 'from a Saxon'. You decide.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Has all this come from the mention of historical Arturus in some document I forget the name of.<hr>No, not by a long shot. The first mention (probably, some say it is a gloss) is from Aneirin's poem 'Y Gododdin', in which the the phrase occurs: "although he was no Arthur" (Cyn ni bai ef Arthur). The name Arthur is also used by the Historia Brittonum (Nennius-early 9th c.) and the Annales Cambriae (10th c.). Arthur is a warrior, a leader of battles (Dux Bellorum). The earliest tales as known today about Arthur as a great king of a unified Britain are from later.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Was the love triangle of Lancelot, Arthur and Gunievere (sp?) a Victorian addition to the tale.<hr>Nope, but it wasn't original either. In the earlier (and I mean Geoffrey of Monmouth and his 12th-13th translators), the lover of the queen is Mordred. Chretien tells us that he composed his poem of the love between Guinevere (Welsh version Gwenhwyfar) and Lancelot at the request of Marie de Champagne, the daughter of Louis VII of France and of Eleanor of Aquitaine, subsequently wife of Henry II of Anjou and England. The authorship of the Lancelot proper, on the other hand, is invariably ascribed to Walter Map, the chancellor of Henry II, but so also are the majority of the Arthurian prose romances. Some therefore accept Map as the possible author of a Lancelot romance, which formed the basis for later developments, and there is a growing tendency to identify this hypothetical original Lancelot with the source of the German Lanzelet. The author, Ulrich von Zatzikhoven, wrote around 1200. The romance starts as very innocent though, and is only becoming more ‘sinful’ in later versions.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Was Lancelot added by Geoffrey of Monmouth to please his Norman over Lords.<hr>Nope. geoffrey must answer for a lot of additions, but not for Lancelot, who evolves out of the independent hero Lanzelel , and it is the French author Chretien de Troyes (later 12th c.), who first mentions Lancelot as the third (!) knight at Arthur’s court. The tradition therefore is Norman/French, but not Geoffrey's.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Was the England that the historical Arthur united more likely to have been Cornwall up through to Dorset and Southern Wales.<hr>Erm.. yes and no. A very interesting problem, this. What did Britain look like in Arthur’s day?<br>
1) England was the creation of the Anglo-Saxons, the enemies of Arthur.<br>
2) Arthur never united Britain either, except in later tales.<br>
<br>
If Arthur indeed was a historical character, he lived and fought during the later 5th and early 6th centuries. So what did Britain look like, 490-530 AD? By that time, you can’t speak of anything like Britain vs. England. Romano-British or proto-Welsh lived side-by-side with Anglo-Saxons and other Germanic immigrants all through Britain. It is only from the mid-6th century that territories emerge that later (from the 7th c.) see themselves as ‘Saxon’ or ‘Jute’ or ‘Anglian’, and later as ‘Anglo-Saxon’. Such differences as were later well-known between ‘English’ and ‘Welsh’ may have existed on a personal level, but the ‘Saxon advance’ only was invented later.<br>
<br>
As we also see in other Late-Roman territories, Britain will have seen Late Roman federates of Germanic descent living and defending the Roman frontiers. But when Roman control waned (in Britain that happened during 410-30), they unvaryingly move out of the forts and start settlements in the countryside. Others then move in, and together with the indigenous population the start forming a new mix. We know this happened in Bavaria (Raetia), Francia (Gaul), and Britain as well.<br>
<br>
Later kingdoms, looking back, always tell of landings and invasions by their dynasty, but etymology and history deny their claims. There will have been a lot of intermarriage. Kingdoms seem to have been built out of former provinces, and consisted of sub-kingdoms and local lords, who could be either British or German. It was a slow process that led the Romano-British to finally submerge or identify themselves as English, at best.<br>
<br>
Meaning, if Arthur was fighting c. 490-530, he fought local actions against lords who could be fresh from Germania, but also 2nd-generation Saxons, or British, or any mix. We don’t know of any well-defined kingdoms, but there are many signs of intermarriage and very humble beginnings of the later Anglo-Saxon kingdoms.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 4/8/04 10:01 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Rob<br>
<br>
Not a bad answer, I will give you 6/10 for that answer.<br>
<br>
Seriously though, thanks for the help.<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
Raeding a book called Return to Avalon which states, if I have read it right, that some of his major battles were with the Gewissi which were of Irish stock but linked to the Saxons of what became Wessex.<br>
<br>
Cerdic who landed near Netly Marsh just west of Southamptonand formed a "kingdom" from which they headed out north & west to take lands where they could. It is suggested that they Cerdic may not , as he has been thought throughout history to be Saxon but part of the Gewissi who had been booted out of Wales earlier.<br>
<br>
Seems therefore, the truth of the latest film maybe right in that Arthur took on mainly indigenous Brits & the Irish & Picts?<br>
<br>
I also read a book a few years back which pointed to Arthur being a member of the Votadini tribe which was transplanted from Cumbria or North of the wall ( Goddodin )there abouts to Gwynedd in north Wales as a buffer against Irish raiders. This links in with him fighting in Scotland and Wales and also with the poem Goddodin which fist mentions Arthur albeit in passing " he was no Arthur" .<br>
<br>
Looking at the film trailor it seems the dressing up box has been used via the ancient masonic costume dept of Hollywood . There must be an ancient manuscript they just wont release ... we have just got it all wrong guys !<br>
<br>
If they can get the wall right ..why not just get a few Osprey books ?? not perfect but better that kit left over from Carry on Cleopatra !!<br>
<br>
Conal<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Only 6 out of 10!<br>
<br>
Grrrrr <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
hey, how many times that movie director saw "Gladiator"? It looks like its variant in a parallel dimension, do you remember those old SF stories where in the parallel dimensions everything was the same but little different details?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Hi Conal,<br>
Sorry to bring you the sad news, but this book called “Return to Avalonâ€Â
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
See, and I read that the Gweasii of Slichair were more like the southwest Saxones of Wiltedshirtes, somewhere along the Forth of Filth once the scene of a great Artorian battle between the somewhat preIrish Scootii and their continental allies the Vespatii, sons of Cunni and Dicgetorix who lived in the vicinity of Inghamton Village (of the famous Vicus Notmahgnium) now submerged beneath the Slew of Slaw.<br>
<br>
Not many know this but the Stone of Anvil, the sword's so called source of "power", was located in the Swamp of Wateritarts and was place there by Merlin (derivations of: Marilynn of Hollywood, Marlin in Florida, Mr Magic Hands in Las Vegas).<br>
<br>
Hope that helps!<br>
<br>
Maximus Minimus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Erm.. no, it didn't, actually. <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Robert,<br>
<br>
I have only read three books so far so early days yet <br>
<br>
I Conal ap Conal ap Conan ap Con of the hundred battles am v v confused by it all as keeping track of the Welsh names is hard enough never mind the actual evidence !!! At te moment I am convinced by all arguements<br>
<br>
I can , however confirm that the Irish have now settled in Wales ... the ap Conal i.e. my dad lives there now having been thrown out by the English ( so he says !!).<br>
<br>
The book is "Journey to Avalon" rather than "Return to" in case i am confusing two books ??<br>
<br>
I started with John Morris Age of Arthur ..then the Matthews book .<br>
<br>
What should I read next ? I got a big list from your website .... but dont know where to go next.<br>
<br>
Conal<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  King arthur movie prop helmet up for grabs! Gordak 2 1,490 05-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Gordak
  King Arthur: The movie Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 1 948 07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Frank Miranda