Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapon carrying permission in Europe
We, as many other groups, are coming to Archeon this summer, and it would be very sad if, on our way, some French, or Belgian or Dutch highway would patrol arrest us for carrying so many sharped weapons.

Catalan police told us that there is no problem about that within our frontiers, but, what about abroad?

Do we have to ask the French, Belgian and Dutch consulates about that?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
At the very least, call their consulates who should at least advise on who to speak to for proper confirmation of the rules. Here's the very important part - make sure you get the names of the people you speak to, and make a note of them. If a query ever arises you can point to them and say "They said it was okay." etc.

Here in the UK it is the Home Office that I had to get confirmation from so that my kit could be passed through Customs (so long as the blades could not be hidden in pockets they have no problem with re-enactment kit). They are the department in charge of all things to do with law and order here. I would suggest contacting the equivalent departments of each country.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
This is a very interesting topic. I've never re-enacted outside Spain and I wonder if I'd have some problems to carry my weapons by plane to Britain or The Netherlands or so.... :roll:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
By plane? Wouldn't you pay through the nose for outsized and extra weight luggage? Maybe it's easier to have someone rent a van and drive?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Oh, I was thinking only of my personal equipment, just a sword and maybe a helmet and muscled cuirass in a future (if they get ever finished!!), nothing about catapults, shields, spears and the like...

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Since border controls don't exist any longer between EU nations, where exactly do you expect to be stopped anyway?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I seem to recall that when the II AVG and the XIIII GMV went to Kalkriese last time the weaponry and other kit were listed on the vehicles as "Theatrical Props" which helps a great deal.

Regards,
Quote: I wonder if I'd have some problems to carry my weapons by plane

There is a reenactor from the UK here who has seriously flown to the US in his armour and/or WW2 kit to avoid the hassle of extra luggage, etc Smile He told the stories on either the Roman Army List or Dan Peterson List at Yahoo! Fantastic!

Getting the stuff (including a rifle at one time) through US Immigration was a doddle, but getting it out of the UK was a different matter altogether. A great conversation starter, and got plenty of dates. His biggest headache was having to take it all off to go through the metal detectors :lol:

On one trip they hit heavy turbulence, so the cabin crew borrowed his helmet Confusedhock:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In Germany you can carry the weapons around, but you are responsible for everything that happens with them. Thus, if someone takes your sword/spear/dagger/crossbow (i.e. everything that is legally a weapon) while you look away, and hurts somebody, it is your (!) problem. It is highly recommended to have an insurance for you(r weapons).
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
i thought that caarying weapons was not allowed in Germany, at least that what i heard at an event in Bonn
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Sometimes, the police stops you with no special purpose, they sometimes stop 1 of each 10 vehicles as a random control.

A group of re-enactor friends were stopped in their way from Tarragona to Barcelona and they had problems to explain about their Iberian weaponry.

Thanks for all your answers.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
In 2002, our group ORGENOMESCOS & LEGIO I AUGUSTA of Citerior Taraconense went to Aosta, Italy for the Annauk Celtic Celebration. There were 2 rented vans loaded with Celtic swords, spears, gladius, shields and the rest. We traveled thur from Hispania through Gaul and passed through the Saint Bernard Tunnel with no hassel. I personally went by car with my family. On the way back the vans went their separate way and we went through Andorra (Aquitania or part of it). We were stopped at the frontier between Andorra and Hispania by the Hispania Custome agent. They looked through the my car but were only interested in items such as tabacco, liquer or other taxable items. (REMEMBER ANDORRA IS NOT A EUROPEAN ECONOMIC MEMBER). They saw our equipment but said nothing. As far as I know the 2 vans passed with no problems and our friends were looking more like hippies with there long hair and celtic clothing.

As far a carring the equipment on board a plane I imagine that the bulk of the stuff would be quite clumsy if not hard to conceal specially pilum, bows & arrows, spears and let alone shields and the like.

Probably one country in Europe that would be hard to pass by road would be Switzerland.
Stephen John McMahon
Quote:i thought that caarying weapons was not allowed in Germany, at least that what i heard at an event in Bonn
That is new to me. If you refer to firearms, you are right, though. Unless you have a weapons license.
Christian K.

I was surprised to hear that you are still waiting your MUSCLED CUIRASS. Did you not publish photos of it in late July 2004. I thought that it was completed or are you making another ?

The problem with any muscled cuirass like your or mine which is harded leather it is a differcult item to stick inside a normal suit case. It would more likely have to go in a trunk or baul.
Stephen John McMahon
Here a link to the German weapons law (Waffengesetz):
[url:x9ollvgb]http://www.co2air.de/wbb2/wom/WaffG.html#An2Ab1[/url]
Christian K.