Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last known uses of "xiphos"-type sword ???
Question 
I've been looking at pictorial evidence and archaeological remains to try to get a rough idea of where this stuff fits chronologically, and while it seems like the appearance of the "xiphos" type of short sword can be relatively safely attributed to the late7th/early 6th century BC or slightly earlier during the Archaic Period, it seems to devolve into a mess when it comes to this sword type's swan swong.
The last real examples i can found seem to all come from the days of the Macedonian Kingdom/Empire, and though it is implied the sword remains in service during the 3rd century BC and beyond with the Greek city-states and the remnants of Alexander's empire until all of that gets wiped out by the Romans and Parthians, there's little to no evidence save for a few depictions like on marble reliefs from the sanctuary of Athena at Pergamon.
What little representations i can find on the period seem to show different stuff, like the many statues from the Ptolemaic period which seem to show swords with Celtic-style trilobate pommels, and you could even be drawn to think that Hellenistic armies just started using Celtic-style swords altogether along the thureos.
Aside from that, i've got told that the Carthaginians were fond of Greek equipment and may have been rocking the whole panoply into the First and Second Punic Wars, aspis, Corinthian and xiphos altogether. But that's not much.
So i figured i might as well look here. Would you guys have anything on Hellenistic and post-Hellenistic uses of xiphos-style swords, or at the very least of the swords that may have been replacing it ?
I don't know if this helps but xiphos type swords appear on Roman aera signata up until the middle of the 3rd century BC. Here is an example:  008AN – Aes signatum Anonyme (lesdioscures.com) 

Harry
Yeah i've seen quite a lot of depictions of this type of swords well into the 3rd and 2nd century (like at Pergamon), but i've never managed to find any evidence for physical examples from this period.
I'm still unsure if this was them depicting swords used at the time or just old swords, kinda like how they keep showing Corinthians and aspis-type shields well into the Hellenistic period.
(02-23-2024, 05:54 AM)SevenSixTwo Wrote: I've been looking at pictorial evidence and archaeological remains to try to get a rough idea of where this stuff fits chronologically, and while it seems like the appearance of the "xiphos" type of short sword can be relatively safely attributed to the late7th/early 6th century BC or slightly earlier during the Archaic Period, it seems to devolve into a mess when it comes to this sword type's swan swong.
The last real examples i can found seem to all come from the days of the Macedonian Kingdom/Empire, and though it is implied the sword remains in service during the 3rd century BC and beyond with the Greek city-states and the remnants of Alexander's empire until all of that gets wiped out by the Romans and Parthians, there's little to no evidence save for a few depictions like on marble reliefs from the sanctuary of Athena at Pergamon.
What little representations i can find on the period seem to show different stuff, like the many statues from the Ptolemaic period which seem to show swords with Celtic-style trilobate pommels, and you could even be drawn to think that Hellenistic armies just started using Celtic-style swords altogether along the thureos.
Aside from that, i've got told that the Carthaginians were fond of Greek equipment and may have been rocking the whole panoply into the First and Second Punic Wars, aspis, Corinthian and xiphos altogether. But that's not much.
So i figured i might as well look here. Would you guys have anything on Hellenistic and post-Hellenistic uses of xiphos-style swords, or at the very least of the swords that may have been replacing it ?
Archaeologically there are two families of ancient Greek swords. The "iron Naue IIs" are the most common until the sixth century BCE, then they are replaced by a new family of cross-hilted swords. I can't speak to the Hellenistic period because its not my specialty and my understanding is that that finds in Egypt are poorly published or at least poorly known. Rich tombs in the Aegean that could date to the late 4th or early 3rd century BCE often get talked about as Alexandrian because more people are interested in Alexander than the successors.

The victory reliefs from Pergamon are some of the most important depictions of Hellenistic military equipment, so dismissing them seems unwise to me. Not all Ptolemaic infantry were thyreophoroi!

Edit: I think there are some hilts and scabbard throats for Greek swords from Takht-i Sangin in Tajikistan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takht-i_Sangin
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thanks, i'll into the Tajikistan stuff.
Richard Taylor pointed to crosshilt swords in the murals in the tomb of Lyson and Kallikles although I'm not sure exactly which painting he meant https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ..._Kallikles It was used from around 250 to 150 BCE.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(04-03-2024, 05:33 PM)SevenSixTwo Wrote: Yeah i've seen quite a lot of depictions of this type of swords well into the 3rd and 2nd century (like at Pergamon), but i've never managed to find any evidence for physical examples from this period.
Researching arms and armour from the Classical and Hellenistic Aegean takes some work because objects excavated by archaeologists after 1945 are generally in museums in the country where they were found, and published in the national language or an expensive volume in German. And not many people who used Greek-style arms and armour were burying it in the earth or sinking it in water by the third century BCE. So there are fewer finds, and if you are not Greek or Bulgarian you have to learn about them in a second language.
Nullis in verba

(04-13-2024, 02:44 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: Researching arms and armour from the Classical and Hellenistic Aegean takes some work because objects excavated by archaeologists after 1945 are generally in museums in the country where they were found, and published in the national language or an expensive volume in German. And not many people who used Greek-style arms and armour were burying it in the earth or sinking it in water by the third century BCE.  So there are fewer finds, and if you are not Greek or Bulgarian you have to learn about them in a second language.

Oh yeah, the infamous German papers. There's so many times where i had interesting leads on topics and was happy to find a good paper only to realize only the abstract was in English and all else was German. Sadly even all the world's translating softwares can't do much
See that's why I always say German is the language I'd most like to learn...

Do you consider Roman imperial art as evidence? If I understand correctly, part of the Amelia Germanicus is a Greek-style sword.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,802 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite