Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do We Get The Iron Ring??
I remember reading that the iron ring was the symbol of a Roman citizen. My question is, if an auxiliary infantryman does his 25 years, and gets his diploma, does he and his family members also get the right to wear the iron ring? If so, how does he get it--buy one,<br>
or get it issued to him with the diploma???<br>
<br>
Arturius Britannicus<br>
Coh. III.Gal. et. Br. (ret)<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Arturius Britannicus
Coh. III.Gal.et.Br.
aka Arthur Gamon
I havent' been able to find that reference to the iron ring of a citizen, though I have seen mention (not a primary source however) of a gold equestrian ring. Signet rings seem to be indicative of status. There is a good article on citizen status below. I would suppose anyone could make an iron ring and wear it and appear to be a citizen. Still looking though.<br>
<br>
www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing.html<br>
<br>
BTW, note on the page that boys would wear gold rings with a phallus on it for good luck! <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Richard--<br>
<br>
I checked this link, and find that the original rings were iron, but were signet rings. My guess is that each person would supply his own iron ring with the pattern for impressing on wax seals, etc. I see that later these went to more prescious metals. Since each ring was different, this answers my question. You had them made up, after being granted citizenship!!<br>
<br>
Arturius <p></p><i></i>
Arturius Britannicus
Coh. III.Gal.et.Br.
aka Arthur Gamon
looking at several sources, you would only wear the "iron ring" if you were a member of the equestrian order, so it is doubtful that you would get an iron ring upon retirement from the auxiliaries....... <p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]