Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clothing etc. in the Western Baltic c. 400-200 BCE
The Hjortspring deposit gives a lot of wood, stone, iron, and copperalloy artefacts from the western Baltic in the early pre-Roman Iron Age. But people of the Baltic Early Iron Age don't seem to have left a lot of naturalistic images of people, just a few rock carvings and a few sculpted pots. And there are no major finds of textiles or hide products from this site. Are there any handy collections of evidence for clothing, hairstyles, makeup, tattoos, etc. from this place and time which I could pass along for an art briefing?

The Hjortspring Guild relied on sources from around the year 1 for their display of costume https://www.hjortspring.dk/index.php/en/...structions
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(09-27-2023, 07:16 PM)Sean Manning Wrote: The Hjortspring deposit gives a lot of wood, stone, iron, and copperalloy artefacts from the western Baltic in the early pre-Roman Iron Age.  But people of the Baltic Early Iron Age don't seem to have left a lot of naturalistic images of people, just a few rock carvings and a few sculpted pots.  And there are no major finds of textiles or hide products from this site.  Are there any handy collections of evidence for clothing, hairstyles, makeup, tattoos, etc. from this place and time which I could pass along for an art briefing?

The Hjortspring Guild relied on sources from around the year 1 for their display of costume https://www.hjortspring.dk/index.php/en/...structions

You might try the Margrethe Hald Archive in particular "Ancient Danish Textiles from Bogs and Burials"
 I dont think I've seen any new stuff for quiet some time though there is Julia Grafs "Lederfund der Vorrömischen Eisenzeit" which includes leather capes...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867