Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must know pugio type.
I'm doing a mod for Elden Ring and I have to recreate a pugio sheath. I just need to know what type of pugio this model is and what type of sheath it would need.[Image: IronDagger.png]
Where did you find it?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert Vermaat: Where did you find it?

It seems to have engraved/inlaid designs in the blade that are not consistant with the era (broadly Ist century for the Pugio, Early Medieval Celtic/Scandinavian for the blade engraving)... so I imagine its not an original Roman piece, but rather a design based upon a roman pugio for the game or some other artwork.

Dagger sheaths would as you might expect be an elongated V shape, occasionally with a decorative plate which can reflect the shape of the blade to some extent:

EG: Search for the Velsen Pugio
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(03-19-2023, 11:54 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Where did you find it?

I got it from this enemy.

[attachment=15799]
Damn it, my initial post didn't display the image due to my structuring of the post so I edited out the mistake.

The enemy in the game is portrayed as servants/slaves who have revolted. To my knowledge, there aren't any other enemies that have or are implied to have had this weapon, so there isn't any other contextual clues to go off of.

Edit: Not showing up again for me. If it isn't displaying, just press the reply button and scroll down to the post that has it. Hopefully it shows.
It does not display perhaps because you have not yet posted your minimum of 4 posts. Both show up for me.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Type of Pugio's Are needed? Pointer 21 5,001 05-20-2017, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Questions about Kunzing Type Pugio ioannes sebald 3 2,058 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ioannes sebald
  Type A pugio scabbard from Vindonissa or Hod Hill? Marcus Mummius 7 3,979 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER