Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Warriors: The Paintings of Graham Sumner
Exclamation 
Roman Warriors: The Paintings of Graham Sumner 

Quote:Gathering together stunning artwork from Graham Sumner’s impressive, expansive portfolio, featuring never-before-seen illustrations from the artist and reminding us of his exceptional ability to bring Ancient Rome to life through painting, this colorful, comprehensive anthology is a must-have for any enthusiast of the period, and of military history in general.

Introduced with a foreword by best-selling historian and author Adrian Goldsworthy, Sumner’s beautiful color reconstructions of Ancient Roman warriors over time are complemented expertly with informative, enlightening text by eminent historian and author Simon Elliott.

This combination of Sumner’s illustrations and Elliott’s writing leaves no stone unturned as they divulge information about this fascinating period of military history in mesmerising, intricate detail. Readers will swiftly become fully immersed in this ancient world, and will leave it with a wealth of knowledge about and a profound understanding of the warriors of Ancient Rome, and a great appreciation for Sumner and Elliott’s expertise in the area.

How much of the book contains never before seen illustrations and how much is repeated from past articles and books?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
There are several new paintings. The book also includes paintings already published although you may not have seen them before, old paintings never published and older paintings which have been revised.

So even if you are familiar with my work there is lots in the new book to enjoy.

I hope that helps.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
(10-26-2022, 02:07 PM)Graham Sumner Wrote: There are new paintings. The book also includes paintings already published although you may not have seen them before, old paintings never published and older paintings which have been revised.

Thanks. Smile  I've got your Brassey's book and other ones and I think I have all the Military Illustrated articles, but it'd be nice to have everything in one book.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
It's worth adding that there is material from older books which are less well widely known, such as a trio of books on Roman Cheshire from quite a while back, e.g. Roman Middlewich 2001 which were mainly sold in the NW of England, I would guess and so it would be quite hard to own all of these already for most people.

It's also a pretty large format book and nice quality paper.  I have all the Osprey, Brassey's and most of the Frontline/Pen & Sword items listed, but there are lots of miscellaneous items I have missed over the years, so I think purchasing this one was a no-brainer!
(10-26-2022, 02:07 PM)Graham Sumner Wrote: There are several new paintings. The book also includes paintings already published although you may not have seen them before, old paintings never published and older paintings which have been revised.

So even if you are familiar with my work there is lots in the new book to enjoy.

I hope that helps.

Graham.

I had no idea the book was out. 
Where can we order it from for international shipping?
(11-07-2023, 08:51 AM)Pop Alexandra Wrote:
(10-26-2022, 02:07 PM)Graham Sumner Wrote: There are several new paintings. The book also includes paintings already published although you may not have seen them before, old paintings never published and older paintings which have been revised.

I hope that helps.

Graham.

I had no idea the book was out. 
Where can we order it from for international shipping?

Surprised nobody replied to this (unless there's some forum rule about posting commercial links?). You can order it direct from the publisher:  Pen and Sword Books: Roman Warriors - Hardback (pen-and-sword.co.uk)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham Sumner (Textile Help) Doc 7 2,034 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER