Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forging Greek spearpoints
About a year and a half ago it was brought to my understanding through a discussion in the Facebook group that there are few sources for getting Greek spearpoints that are correctly constructed and not weighing a ton. I have since figured out a process for forging them in a way that would have been possible back in the days. No drilling out the socket, no welds, and very little waste of material from grinding. I've mostly done them in mild steel lately to be more affordable, but have also done a couple in wrought iron (which is similar to the material used in the past) and spring steel. 

For these two the socket is split and butted together. In the past I've spent way too much time forge-welding the sockets (at least partly) but unless for higher end materials, it is just not worth all the effort. Split and butted sockets seem to be quite common in historical examples so it is a perfectly fine solution. These are possibly a bit wide compared to their lengths but I have a couple smaller and narrower (and lighter) in the pipeline.

Very cool!! Thanks for posting that.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
(10-05-2022, 12:43 AM)Feinman Wrote: Very cool!!  Thanks for posting that.

Thanks! I thinned these out a bit and here is a selection of my latest batch of spearpoints. And a couple of images of progress starting from round bars.

Hi Daniel, this is great work! The ridging looks particularly elegant.

Did you have specific historical spearhead artifacts that you modeled these after?

I've been researching extensively online to find documented Greek spearhead and saroutor artifacts with decent pictures and a scale attached, with the goal of recreating an accurate Classical-era Hoplite dory spears. But so far I've come up with almost nothing.

The British museum has a single image of a Bronze age spearhead, but no find location or documentation is included.
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection...65-0720-55

And the Met has an archaic saroutor, but that's about it.
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/253560

Researching any Greek weapon artifacts online has been almost futile, unlike my research into viking-age artifacts, many of which are documented beautifully by Scandinavian museums, complete with find dates and locations and scaled photos that are dimension and model from.