Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield
(07-01-2023, 05:11 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: Hi Crispianus, so this forum was down for some days in late June.  I am trying to sum up.

Could you point me to some publications of shields from the Viking Era which seem to have short handles level with the back of the board like the Dura Europos round shields not long handles that stick out of the back of the board like a typical modern 'Viking Shield'?  A broad work like Dickinson and Härke's Early Anglo-Saxon Shields or Stephenson's Anglo-Saxon Shield would be even better.

Its always possible that someone has stared at a shield in a vitrine and seen something that the archaeologists did not see, but because the first millennium CE is not one of my research interests, I'd rather lean on the kind of considered thought that it takes to write a book or an article.

I hope to finish my 24" Early Anglo Saxon shield this year.

Sorry for the delay real world intervened, apart from the fact I seem to have lost my source material...

" Shield mounts consisting of a trefoil-shaped cast copper-alloy mount and two fragments of an iron
band for the hand-grip were located in the western part of the Hedeby boat chamber grave (MüllerWille 1976a:76ff, Abb. 44.4-6). 
It is not possible to determine to which of the two shield-bosses the mounts belong. The iron band had a D-shaped cross section, and remains of wood were preserved on the concave inner side, the outer side showing faint
traces of silver plating. The trefoil-shaped mount was originally fitted at the end of the hand-grip.

It is similar to mounts known from seven Birka graves, four of which contained a shield-boss of type
R.564, and one a type R.563.23

At Rends seven fragments of a decorated copper-alloy band for a handgrip were recovered together with a shield-boss of type R.562 (pl. 44.3). The total estimated length is about 70 cm, indicating the minimum diameter of the shield. 
The fragments were at first believed to be mounts for a spear shaft, but their similarity to mounts from Birka grave 736 (fig. 4.10.1) confirm an association with the shield (Brøndsted 1936:122; Arwidsson 1986:43). 

The Gokstad ship burial in Norway contains another, almost identical fragment decorated with gilt copper alloy (fig. 4.10.3), originally described as ‘an ornamental piece of iron, its intended purpose unknown’ (Nicolaysen 1882:49). "

From : Dead Warriors in Living Memory. A study of weapon and equestrian burials in Viking-age Denmark, AD 800-1000. 2014 Anne Pedersen.

Volume 1

Volume 2

Added direct links and images, see Shields in VolI and Plate 44 Vol II, fortunatly Laptop issues resolved!

Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield - by Crispianus - 07-13-2023, 03:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  La Tene shield materials? Dan D'Silva 20 8,927 02-07-2023, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Crispianus