Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield
Now that we know what wood for European shields should be like, I would love an experienced woodworker to see how well tulip poplar meets those requirements. Where I live local red alder (alnus rubra) is just as cheap and common as imported tulip poplar (liriodendron tulipifera) and basswood (tilia Americana) is not much more expensive, and both seem to have properties similar to the traditional European woods for shields.

Basswood seems like its somewhere between European linden and white willow / white poplar in properties. The book on mummy portraits says that linden was the most common wood for them in Roman Egypt, and Cennini also recommended linden for panel painting.

In an earlier thread called 'La Tene shield materials' you asked about a typology of bosses or spine-reinforcements for La Tène culture shields from the 5th century BCE onwards. I think I remember there was such a typology (with diagrams) in:

Jean-Louis Brunaux and André Rapin, Gournay II: Boucliers et Lances, Dépôts et Trophées (Éditions Errance: Paris, 1988)

A forthcoming book from Pen & Sword will summarize some of these French, Italian, and Spanish-language publications.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield - by Sean Manning - 05-12-2022, 07:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  La Tene shield materials? Dan D'Silva 20 8,928 02-07-2023, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Crispianus