Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dietwulf Baatz (1928-2021)
I have just learned of the death, on 23 November 2021, of Professor Dr Dietwulf Baatz.

Having initially studied mathematics at Frankfurt, he then studied archaeology at Marburg. His doctoral dissertation on the legionary fortress of Mogontiacum (Mainz) is available here.

Dietwulf was director of the Saalburgmuseum from 1967 until his retirement in 1993. A collected volume of his papers (Bauten und Katapulte des römischen Heeres) was published in 1994. Amongst many publications, his guidebook to the Upper German limes (Der römische Limes. Archäologische Ausflüge zwischen Rhein und Donau, 4th edn. 2000) deserves special mention.

RAT members will perhaps be most familiar with Dietwulf's work on Roman artillery, based (of course) on the splendid collection of the Saalburgmuseum, home of Erwin Schramm's surviving reconstructions.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
A monument. I have some of his books.

Including this delightful guide which I just had to get when I was still quite young, during a vacation in Germany that changed my life: discovering the Roman Empire.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(01-13-2022, 07:59 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: ... this delightful guide which I just had to get when I was still quite young, during a vacation in Germany that changed my life

The second edition (1975), I think. With the plastic weatherproof cover. Yes, I have that one, also. I picked it up when I visited the author at the Saalburg in 1984.  Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I am sorry to hear that. I was recently reading and flipping through one of his books on the limes that I got as a present. A long and productive life.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ramsay MacMullen (1928-2022) D B Campbell 1 261 12-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Frank Frazetta (1928-2010) D B Campbell 1 2,284 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Peroni