Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucanian sausage
I am having Lucanian sausage made up for our Lupercalia party, with the following ingredients that I got from the book "Around the Roman Table" by Patrick Faas.<br>
<br>
I have no idea where to find rue, green bay shoots or savory, though I have not looked too hard yet. Bay berries, I am told, are very hard to find.<br>
Has anyone tried to make Lucanian sausage or can comment on what this would taste like? My minimum order is 12 pounts/6kilos of sausage, so I want to have something decent the first go.<br>
<br>
1 tablespoon cumin<br>
1 tbsp bay berries<br>
1 tbsp peppercorns<br>
5 little green bay shoots<br>
1 small bunch of parseley<br>
2 stalks fresh rue<br>
2 stalks fresh savory<br>
2 tbsp dried herbs (unspecified, but maybe Italian?)<br>
1 kg minced pork<br>
200 grams diced bacon fat<br>
200 g pine kernals<br>
6 tbsp garum<br>
<br>
Grind cumin, bay berries and 1 tsp peppercorns to powder. Remove the stalks<br>
from the herbs and finely chop the leaves. Then mix all the ingredients<br>
together and knead to remove all air bubbles. Press the mixture into a<br>
(sauage<br>
sack) an ensure again no air bubbles. Tie off the sausages. Can be smoked. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich,<br>
Surely useless for the other side of the Ocean but, where did you get the garum from?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Not garum, but asian fish sauce. I don't know of anyone who's ever tried to make garum but they say asian fish sauce, distilled from crushed fish, is very similar (so how do 'they' know?). <p>Legio XX<br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Avete, omnes!<br>
<br>
Rich - I usually buy my spices in small amounts (fresher!) from East Asian, Middle Eastern or Indian groceries - for other things I will often use Penzeys:<br>
<br>
www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/p...phome.html<br>
<br>
They even carry odd things I use in medieval dishes...<br>
<br>
Scythius <p>LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Many thanks, Scythius, anyway, it does not look a simple thing to order from Europe!<br>
Rich, whst is the name of tha Asiatic fish sauce? Does it come from any concrete country?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I was able to find 'summer savory' at the local store, so that might be covered. I will have to go to an asian market to check out the fish sauce, which should not be a problem as there are a number around here. Where to get the rue, green bay and bay berries is my problem.<br>
<br>
If you happen to have other recipes for Lucanian sausage share them! <p>Legio XX<br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I think we'll drop the rue:<br>
<br>
Ruta graveolens<br>
<br>
Scientific Name: Rue<br>
Other Names: Common Rue, Garden Rue, Herb of Grace, Herbygrass, Ruda, Weinkraut<br>
<br>
Should I take it?<br>
<br>
Rue is believed to have originated in southern Europe and it has spread to most parts of the world. It is a small evergreen bush with flat bluish-green leaves and small yellow or greenish flowers that bloom in late summer. For use in medicine and food, leaves and young stems are gathered before rue flowers bloom. Although it is often used as an ornamental plant in gardens or flowerbeds, its strong smell usually makes rue unpopular for use close to homes. Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a flavoring agent, small amounts of rue oil are used in cosmetics and foods. Fresh rue leaves are sometimes added to mixed salads or used as a cooking herb for a bitter taste. In Italy, rue is used to flavor grappa, a type of brandy.<br>
<br>
Egyptians and early Greeks believed that rue taken orally could improve eyesight and it was once popular among medieval artists, crafters, and writers who needed good vision to perform close work. The juice of fresh rue has been used to relieve toothaches and earaches. In Chinese medicine, rue is used to eliminate intestinal worms. Even though rue has been used historically for these and a number of other serious conditions, such as acute infections, heart conditions, and mental illnesses, no scientific studies currently support any of these uses.<br>
<br>
Dosage and Administration<br>
<br>
Note: Oral doses of over 120,000 mg (120 grams) of fresh rue or 10 mL of rue oil reportedly have resulted in kidney damage, liver damage, or death. The recommended maximum dose per day of dried rue is 1,000 mg (one gram).<br>
<br>
Dried rue is less likely to be toxic than fresh rue because volatile rue oils are lost as the plant dries. Also called essential oils, volatile oils possess the characteristic smell and taste of the plant. They usually evaporate quickly at room temperature.<br>
<br>
For oral use, rue is often brewed into a tea using one teaspoon of the dried leaves and stems of the plant and one cup (about 8 ounces) of boiling water. The water is poured over the rue, which is allowed to soak until it becomes cool. The solid particles are strained out before drinking the cooled tea. Only one cup of rue tea should be used per day and rue should not be used longer than a few days at a time.<br>
<br>
<br>
Summary<br>
<br>
In many parts of the world, rue is taken by mouth to induce abortion or to initiate menstrual periods. It may not be particularly effective, however, and it carries the risk of kidney or liver damage. Topically, rue oil may be used to treat arthritis pain, bruises, or sprains. It may also be applied to ward off insects.<br>
<br>
Risks<br>
<br>
Because it may cause miscarriage, rue should not be used by women who are or who may be pregnant. It should also be avoided by women who are breast-feeding and children who are under 18 years of age. The volatile oils in rue may irritate the gastrointestinal tract, possibly causing or worsening kidney, liver, or stomach conditions.<br>
<br>
Side Effects<br>
<br>
By mouth, rue may cause nausea, stomach pain, and vomiting. If it comes in contact with the skin, rue may cause blisters or rash. Either orally or topically, rue may make the skin more sensitive to light.<br>
<br>
Interactions<br>
<br>
When used with drugs that also cause sun sensitivity, rue may increase the chances of sunburn. <p>Legio XX<br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I forgot to pass along the review:<br>
<br>
The sausage as made was very lean, and had a smokey sort of flavor to it, not overwhelmingly fishy or strong. It was dryer than most sausage, perhaps because it was custom made? I didn't ask for him to put in less fat for it.<br>
<br>
It was successful and everyone did eat it, but I'm not entirely sure what the ingredients ended up being, as the butcher just said he'd make it 'great'. <p>Legio XX<br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?