Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Saka-izing" Greek Armour
Hi, everyone.

Although it has been said that the Saka utilized Greek (or at least Greek-styled) armour, I'd like to gain an understanding of this.

How would they approach this?
Two things I really enjoy are riding horses and shooting bows. I haven't done both at the same time, though. That said, I have shot a bow in a spolas. It felt weird. I told myself that this was due to inexperience and, possibly, the shape of the armour. Most of my experience with horse riding is without a saddle or stirrups, so that part is down (I will make a Saka saddle at some point). I haven't ridden in armour. If I decide to use Greek-style armour, I think I'll ask someone to just make and fit any metal pieces for me. Keeping in mind the horse-riding aspect. I'd like to get involved with mounted archery competitions and I think my approach might help promote the sport.

I am not opposed to shifting towards scale armour, however.

Anyways, I thought I'd start a thread in order to track my own progress. I have lots of leather sitting around, and plenty of linen as well. As for the spolas I mentioned, I did not make it. I bought it from Kult Of Athena a long time ago. It is made of thick leather, with linen glued to the outside of the tube. I wish I recalled who the craftsman was because it is very well made. I will make my own now, but I am considering modifying that one.

As a final note, I am open to any advice or criticism in this project. I simply don't have much experience or expertise on armour and how it should be made.

Good day, all.
(10-20-2021, 07:44 PM)Blue Saka Wrote: Hi, everyone.

Although it has been said that the Saka utilized Greek (or at least Greek-styled) armour, I'd like to gain an understanding of this.

How would they approach this?
Two things I really enjoy are riding horses and shooting bows. I haven't done both at the same time, though. That said, I have shot a bow in a spolas. It felt weird. I told myself that this was due to inexperience and, possibly, the shape of the armour. Most of my experience with horse riding is without a saddle or stirrups, so that part is down (I will make a Saka saddle at some point). I haven't ridden in armour. If I decide to use Greek-style armour, I think I'll ask someone to just make and fit any metal pieces for me. Keeping in mind the horse-riding aspect. I'd like to get involved with mounted archery competitions and I think my approach might help promote the sport.

I am not opposed to shifting towards scale armour, however.

Anyways, I thought I'd start a thread in order to track my own progress. I have lots of leather sitting around, and plenty of linen as well. As for the spolas I mentioned, I did not make it. I bought it from Kult Of Athena a long time ago. It is made of thick leather, with linen glued to the outside of the tube. I wish I recalled who the craftsman was because it is very well made. I will make my own now, but I am considering modifying that one.

As a final note, I am open to any advice or criticism in this project. I simply don't have much experience or expertise on armour and how it should be made.

Good day, all.
Hi Blue Saka,

I think the volume "The Ancient World at War" edited by Philip de Souza has photos of some of the famous Black sea Scythian art such as the Solokha Comb. There is also the mystery tomb at Vergina with the woman's greaves and the shoulder-flap cuirass from Golyamata Mogila in Thrace. There is a ton or so of armour from Scythian tombs, but most of it is published in Russian.

Rod Walker in ?Australia? has a Scythian cavalry impression. I know people with related interests in the Lower Mainland, Calgary, and Toronto.

We don't know much about how ancient linen or leather armour moved, and most modern armour is not shaped like any kind of traditional armour even if it claims to be a replica. I think there are sculptures and Red Figure vases from the Aegean of archers in shoulder-flap cuirasses (Aphaia?)
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Here is the comb.

[Image: 381c2678a01011d493ab00902786bf4407jpg.jpg?mw=173&mh=119]

The dude on the horse is wearing a Corinthian in addition to the tube-and-yoke cuirass. Did Scythians wear Corinthian helmets? Looks more like a Thracian to me.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Some very nice renderings here:
https://maximus101.livejournal.com/146401.html
Might give you more ideas.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius FlavĀ