Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worcestershire Sauce = Garum ???
Here is the Thai fish sauce my deli guy is using to make the Lucanian sausage:<br>
<br>
importfood.com/sati7501.html<br>
<br>
and it includes a good description of making the stuff, which must be almost identical to Roman recipes <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc>Richsc</A> at: 2/9/04 7:18 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
That looks totally cool, Rich! Authentic 'garum'<br>
I'll try to get a bottle of that stuff to taste it!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Wet dog???<br>
Either the stuff you tried was relatively mild Wendy, or you've got a much stronger stomach than I have!<br>
Our local shop carries both the brands in Rich's link, and I bought the squid one today. After getting a whiff of the stuff I really had to psyche myself up to actually taste it. Strangely enough though, despite the 'orrible smell it doesn't taste of much except salt. Seems to me that used in modest doses as a seasoning, it wouldn't be much different than adding salt to food.<br>
Just the problem of getting used to the stench...<br>
Aitor, you want a free bottle of Squid brand fish sauce?<br>
Then again it might make a good fertilizer...for the plants at the furthest end of the garden.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Those of you in the area February 21 are welcome to stop by at our Lupercalia party and try the sausage with garum! <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Anaten,<br>
Really encouraging, no doubt!<br>
I'm afraid that I'll have it more difficult to get a bottle of that stuff than you!<br>
In the meantime, one question, is that horrible smell 'fishy' or just something difficult to define?<br>
I suggest that Thai sauce looks as the closer relative to garum that we can found today but pehaps is only suited to 'rugged' Roman re-enactors. for the rest, maybe Worcestershire sacuce would suffice....<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
A little more digging finds a UK maker, George Watkins, of Worcestershire sauce that 'has the pre-Lea Perrins taste" to it, but they also sell an anchovy sauce!<br>
www.ketchupworld.com/notevenketchup.html <p>Legio XX<br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Rich, I hope your Lupercalia party went well and everyone enjoyed your sausage. If the verdict was good i.e no hint of squid brand lurking in the flavour (??) maybe I'll try the recipe as the sauce is still rubbing shoulders with the Lea and Perrins in the cupboard.<br>
<br>
Aitor, sorry it took a while but I did do a sort of survey on the smell of the stuff. I tried it out on hubby, the kids and a few of their friends. Well, you wanted to know...<br>
Hubby said manure; my five year old said it smelt like "all sorts of smelly animals"...shades of wet dog?<br>
But it was interesting that the two older kids and their friends (and I didn't ask them together so they didn't take the ideas from each other) all suggested various types of pet food. My two both thought it smelt like our ferret's food and dog food and rabbit food were also offered. No mention of fish!<br>
Hope that helps! <p></p><i></i>
<br>
The sausage was well liked at Lupercalia; it was all eaten. It<br>
had a smokey flavor that everyone assumed was the garum, and not overpowering at all, but it also had a lot of savory in it. Alas, no rue or bayberries, but a lot of pine nuts. I will be defreezing the rest of it for Roman Days in June, or whenever a lot of Romans show up at the house next. <p>Legio XX<br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Many thanks for the poll, anaten!<br>
It's interesting that, like the Worcestershire sauce, the smell is not particularly fishy (even if offensive, anyway )<br>
I cannot find that Thai sauce here and I'm copletely sure that it is the nearest thing to garum available today!<br>
I don't dare to buy it by Internet, maybe in the customs they will think that it is a new kind of biological massive destruction weapon!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Well, folks,<br>
It seems that it is totally impossible to find something as common and cheap as Tiparos fish sauce here, in Spain!<br>
By the way, during my frentic search though the web, I've found a place where an expert cook says that tiparos is second vintage sauce and that he uses only for cooking due to its strong flavour. For dipping he commends first vintage fish sauces, like Three Crabs!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Or maybe not...<br>
If we believe the import food company, Tiparos is more authentic:<br>
[url=http://importfood.com/satc2401.html" target="top]importfood.com/satc2401.html[/url]<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Fish sauce everywhere.. did the Romans use other kinds of sauce as well?<br>
<br>
I can't stand fish sauce..no, really!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert, the matter is that Worcestershire sauce is made of anchovies fermented in vinegar.<br>
The fact is that I hate fish and I hate vinegar but... I've found Worcestershire sauce quite edible and even attractive!<br>
Thai sauce seems to be even closer to the original garum that Worcestershire is. I'd bet that even Romans would take it for garum. Maybe ist flavour is better than its smell and, in any case, it seems not to be 'fishy'.<br>
I entered in the Tiparos website and they have a retailer for the Netherlands. Just a small sacrifice for the Empire, Robert...<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
I hope you people understand the sacrifices I'm willing to undertake on your behalf. Today I went to a local Asian market and picked up a bottle of Three Crabs brand Vietnamese nuoc mam. Tomorrow, I'll try dipping some pot stickers in it and report. The reason this is a sacrifice is that, while I am an enthusiastic cook and even went to school to study Chinese cooking, back when I was a young GI in Vietnam in 1970, we called the stuff "armpit sauce," and when I got a whiff of what's in the bottle I just bought, I remembered why. <p></p><i></i>
Many thanks, John,<br>
We'll erect a beautiful inscription in the forum for you!<br>
'Armpit sauce' Why the heck I cannot find it here!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sauce question Avatar 9 6,713 06-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Last Post: marsvigilia