Worcestershire Sauce = Garum ???
Looking up a source for fish sauce, I saw this:<br>
<br>
"You've probably heard the story of how Worcestershire Sauce was invented â€â€Â
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Lea and Perrins Worcestshire sauce ingredients:<br>
Malt vinegar (from barley), spirit vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onions, garlic, spices, flavouring.<br>
<br>
The ingredients are fermented for a long time in the vinegar, strained and then transferred to wooden casks for further fermenting, the whole process taking three years!<br>
<br>
According to Delia Smith only the best anchovies from the Basque Region of Spain are used.<br>
<br>
You know, I'm beginning to think garum might not have been as bad as it sounds...<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Well, therefore I have the best possible anchovies at hand ! (the joke is that I live in Bilbao, the main port in the Basque Country1 )<br>
Anyway, I'm not very inclined to ferment anything by myself and I ask, is it (as it seems from the last post) possible to get commercially made Worcestshire sauce? Is it Lea and Perrins a brand? Maybe a British one?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I've made my homework and I've answered myself my former questions<br>
It seems that worcestershire sauce is quite a common thing and I'll try to buy a bottle tomorrow to taste it. If i succeed I'll tell you about my experience !<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
OMG, I've been using worcestershire sauce for years--in stews and other meat dishes. I didn't know it had anchovies in it!!! I never read the ingredient list before.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
Now I've got a bottle of L&P worcestershire sauce!<br>
Now I'm doubting whether I'll drink it directly from the bottle's mouth or wheter I'll use a glass (more proper). No! perhaps I'll try dipping my hardtack in it!<br>
I'll tell you!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Hey, quite edible and slightly spicy, nice stuff!<br>
I think that Worcestershire sauce would be a good garum/liquamen for your lucanian sausages, Rich.<br>
I must now look for a similar sauce, called Tai sauce, it is made of fermented fish too...<br>
Valete<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Wendy, I have to admit that until I got the Lea and Perrins bottle out of the cupboard yesterday to check the ingredients I didn't know either!<br>
<br>
So, what is the verdict Aitor?<br>
I don't think swigging it straight out of the bottle is too advisable-as you might have discovered by now. But if you go for the glass add some vodka and tomato juice too.<br>
<br>
As Wendy said, it's good for seasoning stews etc...pretty much the same function as garum in fact.<br>
<br>
Jane Renfrew in Food and Cooking in roman Britain suggests using anchovy essence as a substitute for garum.<br>
There is also a translation from Geoponica XX 46,1-6 that gives three different ways of preparing garum. One was salting the fish and leaving them out into the sun to dry and then straining them through a fine meshed basket.<br>
Another method:<br>
"If you wish to use the garum at once i.e not expose it to the sun but boil it-make it in the following manner. Take brine and test it's strength by throwing an egg into it to try if it floats: if it sinks the brine does not contain enough salt. Put the fish (atherinae or red mullet or sprats or anchovy) into the brine in a new earthernware pot, add origan, put it on a good fire until it boils...let it cool and strain it over two or three times until clear, seal and store away."<br>
The third method-and the best garum-was produced from the entrails of tunny fish, it's gills, juice and blood and enough salt. These were to be left in a vessel for a maximum of two months before piercing the side of the vessel and letting the resulting garum flow out.<br>
<br>
The second one doesn't seem too difficult to try out.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I didn't notice your last post Aitor...strange, I could have sworn it wasn't there when I started writing mine out but looking at the times guess it must have been.<br>
Now I've found the garum recipes I'm thinking the taste must have been quite different without all the additions of vinegar, garlic, onions etc etc-much saltier and stronger-and fishier!<br>
<br>
Our local grocery stocks quite a good selection of Thai food, so I'm going to check out if there is any of that fish sauce stuff too. <p></p><i></i>
Anaten,<br>
You know, Ezboard's misterious ways...<br>
Maybe garum/liquamen was saltier than Worcestershire sauce but we cannot be sure of its 'fishy' flavour! Remember that Worc' sauce is made of anchovies and we'd never realized it!<br>
If we succeed tasting Tai sauce or the vietnamese Nuoc Nam (or something sounding like that!) we'll have a broader base to judge if fermented fish sauces taste like fish or not.<br>
In any case, the lesson that we've learned is that garum was a liquid sauce and that it was surely by no means the exotic foul-smelling thing that we'd previously envisaged<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
I think I've tasted fish sauce at a Vietnamese restaurant and it smelled awful, but tasted ok...if it was fish sauce, that is.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
This from the BBC on worcestershire sauce<br>
<br>
www.bbc.co.uk/herefordand...rins.shtml<br>
<br>
note the 'aging in barrels' that sounds so much like the garum recipes. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Wendy,<br>
Did that vietnamese fish sauce smell or taste to fish?<br>
Do you know if it was fermented?<br>
Anaten,<br>
Still looking for Tai sauce. I've found some allegedly 'Tai' sauces, but no fish (fermented or not) was present as ingredient!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Aitor,<br>
<br>
I'm not sure how it was made. It just came in a little bowl for dipping the spring rolls in. My daughter kept asking, "What smells like wet dog?"--and it turned out to be the fish sauce. It didn't have a strong flavour, though, and it was clear in colour. I can't really remember what it tasted like except that it wasn't unpleasant.<br>
<br>
Wet dog? Mmmmh, that really promises as a good sustitute for garum!<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sauce question Avatar 9 6,713 06-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Last Post: marsvigilia