Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trimontium Museum
If you are within striking distance of Southern Scotland (and sadly I am not so cannot visit imminently), you might be interested to learn that the newly refurbished Trimontium Museum in Melrose has re-opened as of 2 August and has in addition to its own collection, had some loans from the National Museum of Scotland and also apparently some material from a private collector.

More info here at the website.

The face of Roman Scotland | Trimontium Museum
Not within striking distance either, but maybe someday!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
(08-05-2021, 10:38 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Not within striking distance either, but maybe someday!

Let me entice you with the Roman credentials of my adopted native country (Scotland, not the UK!) for a Dutch tourist with an interest in Roman archaeology:

Fly into Edinburgh, visit the National Museum of Scotland, see a carnyx amongst other great stuff...

Deskford carnyx (nms.ac.uk)

...then hire a car, do a trip to Newstead then a few Antonine Wall highlights (Bar Hill, Rough Castle, the fortlet at Kinneil House, Bath House at Bearsden), then head on over to Glasgow so see the Hunterian museum at Glasgow University.

Once you have added Edinburgh castle and Stirling Castle, plus the Kelvingrove Museum and Burrell Collections in Glasgow, you have a grand week of historical fun there.  I'm like an unofficial tourism minister!

Ugh, I am so looking forward to the end of the pandemic and a return to travel again.  In a fit of post-Brexit protest, I got my Irish passport last year to still be "in the EU" at a personal level, but it is still in it's envelope!
Thanks for the heads up.  I am only an hour or so away so i will visit soon.
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
(08-05-2021, 08:12 PM)dadlamassu Wrote: Thanks for the heads up.  I am only an hour or so away so i will visit soon.

Hi Alan, 

Excellent - good to know you are "in the neighbourhood".  It looks like it will be good so I am very jealous - enjoy!

Regards, John

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman arm guard - Trimontium dadlamassu 2 228 01-21-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Trimontium (Newstead) Archaeological Finds JeffF 12 3,425 01-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Last Post: quisslan