Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Godfrey Knight (-2021)
I just heard that Godfrey Knight passed away this morning.

Very, very sad. Godfrey - or Gnaeus as he was known in the legion - was the only Late Roman in Legio II Augusta when I made my first uneasy steps into reenacting two decades ago. A gentleman, very friendly and helpful. A few years on, while on a first event abroad (Kalkriese 2003) is also met his wife Stella (seen on this picture).
Godfrey was also a very good crafstman - I know many people who liked his swords. Too bad it was such a long time since I had a chance to meet him. My best wishes and regards for his wife, family and friends.

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(08-01-2021, 06:38 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: I just heard that Godfrey Knight passed away this morning.

Very, very sad. Godfrey - or Gnaeus as he was known in the legion - was the only Late Roman in Legio II Augusta when I made my first uneasy steps into reenacting two decades ago. A gentleman, very friendly and helpful. A few years on, while on a first event abroad (Kalkriese 2003) is also met his wife Stella (seen on this picture).
Godfrey was also a very good crafstman - I know many people who liked his swords. Too bad it was such a long time since I had a chance to meet him. My best wishes and regards for his wife, family and friends.

Hello Robert, thank you for your kind words I will pass them on to Stella. All the best, Lucille daughter of Godfrey
I just read this obituary today, Nov. 18, 2021; I'm sorry to hear about Godfrey Knight's passing.  Godfrey made my Pompeian gladius and scabbard and my pugio and scabbard for my kit that I used with Legio XX at events in Maryland and Virginia, U.S.  I appreciate the quality and authenticity of his work. When I visited London in March 2001, I met Godfrey at the British Museum with my nephew and he gave us a tour of the Anglo-Saxon and Roman collections, as well as other ones.  At the time, Godfrey was in the process of working on my above kit items.  After the museum visit, Godfrey, my nephew, and I went to a nearby pub for some ale/beer.  Since I was in front of him at the pub, I asked Godfrey if he could measure me for the length of the baldric for my gladius scabbard.  He was gracious enough to do it.
(11-18-2021, 04:31 PM)Gnaevs Laetonivs Messala Wrote: I just read this obituary today, Nov. 18, 2021; I'm sorry to hear about Godfrey Knight's passing.  Godfrey made my Pompeian gladius and scabbard and my pugio and scabbard for my kit that I used with Legio XX at events in Maryland and Virginia, U.S.  I appreciate the quality and authenticity of his work. When I visited London in March 2001, I met Godfrey at the British Museum with my nephew and he gave us a tour of the Anglo-Saxon and Roman collections, as well as other ones.  At the time, Godfrey was in the process of working on my above kit items.  After the museum visit, Godfrey, my nephew, and I went to a nearby pub for some ale/beer.  Since I was in front of him at the pub, I asked Godfrey if he could measure me for the length of the baldric for my gladius scabbard.  He was gracious enough to do it.

I can guarantee he enjoyed your visit, he loved museums and showing people around so anyone equally interested it would have been his greatest pleasure to accompany. As for measuring you in the pub....he was a practical man that also wouldn't have wanted to let the chance pass. Thank you for writing your piece, it is really appreciated.
Lucille on behalf of Estella and Roger too.