Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of warrior burials
I meant to post something last year when I visited during our last prolonged non-lockdown but anyone in the Southern England area interested in Iron Age British/Gallic warfare will enjoy a visit to the Novium Museum in Chichester where they can see the North Bersted man, who has been identified as a possible "military refugee" from the Gallic Wars of Julius Caesar:

The Novium Museum - Mystery Warrior: The North Bersted Man

He is currently scheduled to be on display until November.  Pleasingly, his afterlife goes from strength-to-strength as he is also being given a billing in a forthcoming Osprey title (although ahead of seeing the book when it comes out shortly, I don't know if Osprey have reconstructed him a Caesarian auxiliary rather than a Gallic freedom fighter!):

Armies of Julius Caesar 58–44 BC - Osprey Publishing

(In Chichester can also be seen Roman walls, various other sites, the spectacular Fishbourne Palace nearby and also for medievalists the slightly scant remains of the motte of the castle.)

As North Bersted man was first excavated 12 years ago, I am hoping that the other warrior burial makes it to a museum a bit faster....

The University of Reading has recently excavated a new Anglo-Saxon warrior burial, links here:

Marlow Warlord Anglo-Saxon Burial - Middle Thames Archaeology Partnership (reading.ac.uk)

Newly Unearthed Warrior's Grave Poised to Redraw Map of Anglo-Saxon England | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

Perhaps a starring role in a future Osprey book will follow!

John

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scordisci Warrior Burials from Desa (Romania) petar 0 843 04-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Last Post: petar
  Sarmatian/Scythian burials Michael Kerr 25 5,030 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Alanus