Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why has the Roman helmet no Noseguard?
Salve omnibus,

a few weeks ago I recieved my Imperial Gallic G helmet, and tried it on and experimented how it worked and especially why the cheek guards had this shape, which I came to the conclusion that they were optimised not to impede vision and breathing. What I wondered was, why it had no noseguard. It would not impede vision at all and since being above the nose, would not make breathing more difficult either. Hence the question, why did they not just add one?

So does anyone know more on this?

Florian
(04-14-2021, 10:21 AM)Zarathustra Wrote: Salve omnibus,

a few weeks ago I recieved my Imperial Gallic G helmet, and tried it on and experimented how it worked and especially why the cheek guards had this shape, which I came to the conclusion that they were optimised not to impede vision and breathing. What I wondered was, why it had no noseguard. It would not impede vision at all and since being above the nose, would not make breathing more difficult either. Hence the question, why did they not just add one?

Florian

It has a rim on the forehead that functions similarly, to keep downward glancing sword blows from hitting the nose.
Later Roman helmets did have nasals.

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Because Roman noses were too big? :-) (Sorry, I missed Apr 1)

More seriously, perhaps, because if your nose showed above your shield rim then you were doing it wrong...

Or, more accurately, at the range the Roman soldier fought, would it not impede close focus?
(04-14-2021, 10:21 AM)Zarathustra Wrote: Salve omnibus,

Florian

Nose guards are not that common, even in the later empire only some of the "Roman" helmets have them its a design fashion that comes and goes throughout history and there are many more designs without them then with...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(04-14-2021, 10:21 AM)Zarathustra Wrote: It would not impede vision at all and since being above the nose
It would not impede vision, but I think it would hinder it.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
(05-15-2021, 09:17 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 10:21 AM)Zarathustra Wrote: It would not impede vision at all and since being above the nose
It would not impede vision, but I think it would hinder it.

Not enough to make a difference... except when using bows.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Maybe it has something to do with the propability of getting hit in a certain way. I figured that the the only part not protected was the nose, if a horizontal strike hit right in front of the eyes, that would likely break the nose. So here would a noseguard really add protection, hence the question. But on the other hand, if such hits were in reality very uncommon the expense of applying a noseguard to all helmets just not justify the expenses.