Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal’s elephants and the battle of Zama
I`ve just posted my paper on Hannibal`s elephants on academia.edu.
Here`s the introduction to give you an idea...

In the late summer to early autumn of 202 BC the Second Punic War was brought to a conclusion at the battle of Zama. It was here that Publius Cornelius Scipio defeated Hannibal Barca and according to Polybius` account of the battle, with twenty thousand enemy killed and as many taken prisoner, Scipio`s victory was a crushingly decisive one; it was the knockout blow of the war.
But this victory over Hannibal was also a victory won against large numbers of the animal that had become a symbol of Hannibal’s success over Roman armies and its generals in 16 years of campaigning in Italy. Zama was also a victory over Hannibal’s elephants.
This is how the early Roman historians and their audience would have wished it to appear. Polybius` version of the battle (which is generally accepted today as the most reliable account) followed their lead, but perhaps his eyewitness (Gaius Laelius or his son Gaius Laelius Sapiens) added some tactical embellishments of their own?

In this paper I will consider the probability of the size of Hannibal’s elephant corps in the autumn of 202 BC and question Hannibal’s tactical use of his elephants in Polybius` battle of Zama and Scipio`s response to them. These points have been discussed in the past, but I will also consider the circumstances of the Zama campaign and address the environmental conditions and logistical requirements that would have affected the deployment of elephants in North Africa during the late summer to early autumn of 202 BC.

https://www.academia.edu/45983572/Hannib...le_of_Zama
Hi Michael,
I saw you announcement on Facebook. Interesting read!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(04-10-2021, 02:45 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Hi Michael,
I saw you announcement on Facebook. Interesting read!

Thanks Robert, glad to know you found it of interest!
Glad to see Michael that you are not ignoring the elephants.
(04-10-2021, 03:03 PM)Steven James Wrote: Glad to see Michael that you are not ignoring the elephants.

No, not even if they wear sunglasses and try to look as inconspicuous as they can!
Really interesting, thanks!
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
(05-07-2021, 05:55 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: Really interesting, thanks!

Thank-you Marco!
Just read it and found it very interesting.  Thanks for the heads up.
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
(05-08-2021, 12:59 PM)dadlamassu Wrote: Just read it and found it very interesting.  Thanks for the heads up.

Thank-you - I`m pleased that you found it of interest!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where was the Battle of Zama? Zama 1 119 04-06-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Zama: The Battle That Never Was? antiochus 57 25,077 09-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Kbor Klib - A site for the battle of Zama Michael Collins 2 447 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins