Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beeswax
Greetings!

Is there any reference to the Romans using beeswax?  I have read that it was used to protect archery bows and bowstrings from becoming useless in wet weather, but I don't recall seeing a source referenced.
I've also seen videos where arrows coated with beeswax had significantly better penetration than those without the coating.

Just curious.
Thanks,

Brucicus
Pliny mentions that there are a thousand uses for it... and of course there are...

On Bees: "They form their combs and collect wax, an article that is useful for a thousand purposes of life" Natural History.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank very much, Ivor. I was thinking that beeswax would've been quite useful if they were aware of it and its properties. And thanks for the link!

Your signature quotation always make me think of the poem 'Ozymandes.

Regards,
Bruce
(01-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Brucicus Wrote: I've also seen videos where arrows coated with beeswax had significantly better penetration than those without the coating.

I'm not sure about other materials but regarding steel armour, it has been debunked a few times. There is no noticeable difference between the penetrative properties of a waxed arrowhead compared to non-waxed ones.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(01-16-2021, 10:35 PM)Dan Howard Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Brucicus Wrote: I've also seen videos where arrows coated with beeswax had significantly better penetration than those without the coating.

I'm not sure about other materials but regarding steel armour, it has been debunked a few times. There is no noticeable difference between the penetrative properties of a waxed arrowhead compared to non-waxed ones.

Thanks Dan!  I think the target was some form of mild steel.  Various points were tested, including bodkins.  i am very probably remembering it wrong.  

Bruce
(01-16-2021, 08:16 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Pliny mentions that there are a thousand uses for it... and of course there are...

On Bees: "They form their combs and collect wax, an article that is useful for a thousand purposes of life" Natural History.

Wink

Ivor:  Pliny also mentions its use for polishing armor a few chapters later.  http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text...apter%3D49

Do re-enactors do this?

Regards,
Brucicus
I don't.*  I use Bright's brass polish and/ or nevr-dull.  I want to get it done.  I don't have anyone to hand it to and make them do it.

*  I have used Renaissance Museum Wax (mostly beeswax) at show-and-tell events where lots of fingerprints will left on helmets and shields.  It goes on after a good cleaning and polishing.
Cheryl Boeckmann
(01-20-2021, 04:27 PM)Athena Areias Wrote: I don't.*  I use Bright's brass polish and/ or nevr-dull.  I want to get it done.  I don't have anyone to hand it to and make them do it.

*  I have used Renaissance Museum Wax (mostly beeswax) at show-and-tell events where lots of fingerprints will left on helmets and shields.  It goes on after a good cleaning and polishing.

I think I may have experimented with beeswax as a waterproofing on helmets fleetingly, but settled for Boiled Linseed oil liberally coated with a brush and left to dry, it goes quite firm and resiliant after a few days in a warm place...
I remember one event in Wales which convinced me of the resilience of both the Welsh in the wet and Linseed oil waterproofing...

Smile
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867