Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Hilted Albion Tiberius Blade with New Scabbard
Although I create my own blades and specialize in Roman Swords, Pugiones, Knives and Scabbards from 300 b.c. to 4th Century a.d. and still researching... I have had people ask me questions like: "Do you forge blades or are they Material removal?" Answer: Both.  Do you re-hilt existing blades?  Answer: Indeed. (See Below.)

This is my latest Sword “Re-Hilt” and Scabbard Creation Commission for a client. 

The Sword Blade is an older Albion "Tiberius" Fulham blade that I Re-Hilted for the client. 

The hilt is inspired from a Hilt I created for a Museum here in the United States that was based on the Domitius Ahenobarbus Relief. The hilt is entirely hand carved from Premium White Holly. The inset Guard Plate and Pommel Finial are made of Brass and the plate bears my Maker’s Mark.

It was interesting to re-hilt this Albion Blade as I do not believe the tang is historically accurate and surprisingly slightly off center of the midrib and was not perpendicular to the butt of the blade. Not saying that Albion its at fault, but the tang is more of a rattail tang and may have been bent at some point.

The Scabbard based on Christian Miks Catalogue on Roman Swords and Scabbards Tafel 193 A699. If my translator is correct the scabbard is in the København National Museum -

The Gutters, Mouth Plate, Suspension Bands, Cross Brands and Chape finial are made of brass. 

The Locket Plate, Terminal Plate and Chape Plate are "solid" Fine Silver .999. The inscription on the Terminal Plate was changed for the Client’s desire to say “Honor Et Patria” (Honor and Country or Honor and Fatherland) the Chape Plate has intricate cutaways, leaving small windows to all of e leather underneath to be seen.  

The Top Locket plate is the only thing that is not historically accurate according to an archeological discovery for a scabbard plate, however it was adapted from a Sardonyx cameo fragment with Jupiter astride an eagle. Period: Hellenistic or Early Imperial; Date: 1st century B.C.-1st century A.D
The plates are created by hand with the Repousse~ and Chasing Technique. The suspension rings are cast lost wax cast in brass.
You see a video of it on my facebook page: www.facebook.com/Master-Carver-and-Maritime-Artist-Patrick-B-Pointer-107775465930419

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3rd - 4th Century stone hilted Spatha brennivs - tony drake 23 6,201 11-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Pugio Blade by Stock Reduction Method - Scabbard Completed sulla felix 114 24,458 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Albion Mainz Gladius, Deepeka scabbard ? Palaemon 10 2,873 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar