Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention spans
I've done several elementary school demos as a Roman soldier, times varying from 35 minutes to 60 minutes. 60 minutes gets to be a bit long, and I find myself resorting to answering questions, which are never in short supply. That isn't bad, but since I don't use a script, I wonder if anyone has used a script?<br>
The teachers never give me a list of things they want covered, which seems odd now that I think of it. Have others out there had other experiences?<br>
<br>
Whether 35 or 60 minutes, I've never seen the kids (4th to 8th grades) get bored. If they did, I am not sure how to get that back.<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Ave,<br>
With our little group Corbvlo we had the following experience:<br>
One of the teachers we met at one of the schoolvisits was just as "Romanminded as we are. He teached his pupils Roman history a few weeks before the visit. Then he gave them an assignment to write a letter. Something like this:<br>
<br>
"Imagine you are a Batavian boy/girl in Germania Inferior. You don't know everything about the strange Roman customs. But you have a uncle/aunt in Cologne who is a Roman soldier/senator/matrona. Write a letter to Cologne and ask him/her 3 questions about Roman live. Tell him/her how the family is doing etc. "<br>
<br>
The teacher send copies of the letters to the 2 members of our group who were coming to visit. This way they knew in advance what the kids were intrested in. (Not the demands of the teacher). So a few days later the Roman uncle and aunt came to visit. They were able to answer the questions in person as a guideline for their schooltalk.<br>
<br>
Maybe an adaptation of this teachers' idea will work to prepare<br>
for other groups as well.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Gaivs Civilis<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Rich and Gaius,<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I find that attention spans are not problems as much as fitting the right information into the time frame and age group. Most of what I do is for high schools and college students. Although I have performed for as young as third grader studying latin with the "Minimus" program. I've never really had a teacher do specific preparatory assignments, like Gaius, but that would be a great idea for younger students.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I began with a lecture on paper, Rich, but based on the kinds of questions I got, and the responses that kept coming up over and over again, I now have done my presentation over seventy times and I really do it from memory. However, like Aristotle's topoi for a journey, I use the clothing itself to cue me where to go next. Since I usually have a soldier and a female in costume with me, there is something for everyone to look at. As expected, the boys want to know everything in detail about the armor, weapons, and fighting; and the girls want more specific detail on hair, jewelry and shoes. (There is of course some variation, some boys ask real perinent questions about women's issues and some females really like the weapons demonstration, but usually it divides along gender line.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Most of my demonstrations occur during school hours, so my length is predetermined. I usually need a teacher to keep time if a clock is not on a wall somewhere. I have gotten to where I don't give that long a lecture/performance to 45-50 minute classes anymore; I just says some introductory and thought provoking statements and then open the floor to questions, which really get lively and interesting.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp My college presentations usually occur in the evening and run about an hour and a half (college attention spans). There I do about an hour:ten and leave twenty or so minutes for questions. These are usually students with some, and often much, Latin and history. These shows are much more detailed and I use lots of Latin tags and vocabulary from their classes.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp One thing I've mentioned before. When I first started doing these, accurate weapons and equipment were not as readily available as today. I really laughed when I checked out the "Don't Even Bother" pages on the Legio XX web site. My pugio (Where and how did Brutus and Cassius hide their daggers?) is the awful nickel kind. But this POS has two advantages that are not acceptable for good reeactment purposes, but very useful for presentations in schools. I have run into problems with Zero-tolerance policies for weapons in schools. Some principals or security personnel can get very uptight about enforcing the policies. I have a better pugio, but I was once almost kicked off the schoolground with a warrant for my arrest, except that my POS dagger was so fake and non-lethal looking that I not only was not arrested, but got to use it, and not the "good" one in the show. The heavy, awful nickel blades have one major advantages, however, in performance. They sound mean and cool when unsheathed. They sound like a sword should sound in the movies; from a distance they look mean. As bad as they are, I find that sound of the nickel blades (especially the hidden dagger suddenly drawn close to some unsuspecting student) sound scary and cool, and they love that. Almost as much as how the citizen contributed to the fuller's bucket outside the shop while wearing a toga.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
Some teachers have asked me what they can do to prepare better, and the idea of a list of questions in advance is good. However, in Fairfax County, they teach Latin in the elementary schools, and so most have had some culture preparation. When my wife comes along as Asellina, we can also bring the caupona and all the props, and run the kids through two sessions separately. Drop spindles in particular are great; put the kids in groups of two or three and get them to work as teams trying to spin yarn.<br>
<br>
When I'm solo in armor, most of the questions even from girls are about the weaponry. After the questions, everyone wants to try out a helmet and put on the hamata. Out in horse country, you'd better be prepared with a lot of cavalry knowledge too.<br>
<br>
I've been lucky that no one has questioned my 'theatrical props' so far. I put a pilum through a drop ceiling, and slipping on polished floors in caligae would leave it flying. I think putting a guard over both ends is a good idea!<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich,<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Referring back to the original thread: I routinely perform at the Louisiana JCL annual convention down here and have presented a few times at national gatherings. These are some of my most satsifying shows; the audience is primed and full of very detailed and perceptive questions. They have lots of background knowledge and will sometimes spur me to further reconstructions and investigations. (The women's clothing portion had its gneisis here.) Our state's association of classicists has been holding a spring meeting at the convention and we act as judges for many of their competitions; I, of course, always judge their costume contests (based on mythological themes) and usually some of the games and art projects. I have seen some spectacular homemade weapons, siege equipment (both models and full sized monsters) and oversee competitions for ballista and catapulti in hotel parking lots. They always have a costume parade before the evening banquet. While some of the "togas" are pretty far-fetched, I usually help redrape and tuck a few, for which they and their teachers are grateful. If you or any Legio XX members are asked to demonstrate at a local convention, I can only say they are some of my favorites.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I too have some adventures with hoanailed caligæ on terazzo floors and thankfully most hotels have lots of non-slip carpet.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp You may have to steel yourselves for some lively arguments about tunic colors, but for the most part, you'll find them an apprciative and stimulating audience.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
I went through teacher training and do a bunch of school programs with museums and it really irks me when teachers don't prepare their students for presentations. It's great when the kids have studied what you are presenting and then you can really do some teaching. If they haven't, they you're basically doing the teachers' job for them. There's nothing more annoying than getting a bunch of blank looks when you ask basic questions on things you think the kids should have already studied.<br>
<br>
Anyway, just a pet peeve of mine.<br>
<br>
For school presentations, having as many hands-on things as possible is the best way to go. The kids will remember more information and they'll have longer attention spans as well. Drop spinning, like RIch mentioned, is a really great activity. If you don't have enough spindles, you can give each kid a small piece of wool roving and ask them to figure out how to make it into yarn and then do a spindle demonstration.<br>
<br>
For army stuff, you could have the kids line up in unit formations and do some drills. Kids love doing that. Have each bring a ruler to use as a gladius and do some sword drills (but clear it with a teacher first just to cya).<br>
<br>
I always ask teaachers what their students are studying or what do they want me to cover for my presentations. That way at least I have an idea of what the kids should know. It also is a gentle reminder to the teachers to cover the info with their kids before I come in. Most of the time this works. You can also check your state education department for the state curriculum standards. There should be standards for all subjects in all grades that you can look up. Some are better than others but it is another way to find out what the kids should know. Plus you can tell the teachers you are covering X,Y, and Z standards which they'll appreciate. That's a good way to plug your programs to schools to show how you fit into their curriculum.<br>
<br>
I'll check my stash of ed books and see if I can find more hands-on activities for this time period. I've been doing mainly colonial and War of 1812 these days so I need to go back in time a bit so to speak.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX