Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield
Who is this "many" that claim lorica segmentata was parade armor?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
The Romans didn't have parade armour. All of the different kinds of armour they used - even the most heavily decorated ones - were intended for battle.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(04-11-2021, 10:32 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: The Romans didn't have parade armour. All of the different kinds of armour they used - even the most heavily decorated ones - were intended for battle.
thank you.  Let me ask one more question.  Is that armor (segmentata) purchased by empire budget or soldiers bought themselves?
(04-19-2021, 02:02 AM)Leoshenlong Wrote: thank you.  Let me ask one more question.  Is that armor (segmentata) purchased by empire budget or soldiers bought themselves?

The military service is, in its essence, tiring and does nothing: the soul and the body are evaluated ten axes a day and with these you have to pay for clothes, weapons, tents, in addition to saving yourself from the tortures of the centurions or to buy some exemption from some fatigue.
Tacitus, Annales, I, 17.

I would say it is commonly accepted that soldiers had to pay for their weapons, armors and so on. But the production in the first centuries was not centralized, so in my understanding each legions had its own blacksmiths and foundries, process favored by the creation of stable neighborhoods at the time of Augustus (and this I would say explain why we start to see the segmentata from this period).

Anyway, considering the legionaries had to march with their weapons and armors... I don't think they would ever brought with them two set of armors.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany Simplex 274 75,711 09-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 237 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Did Romans bury soldiers in armor or save the armor mrmovieprop 10 2,914 10-25-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Crispvs