Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Early Imperial Roman Legion in 28mm
Photo 
I have been interested in the Romans since I was a small boy over 60 years ago and learned about them in school and then visited sites along Antonine's Wall a few miles from our house.  My first Legion was formed of 1/72 Airfix models.  Unfortunately these have suffered over the years and so late last year I started collecting Warlord 28mm Early Imperial Romans (and others) and gradually I intend to raise a whole legion with auxiliaries and support services.

So far I have painted some older Foundry Romans at the rear, 5 Legionary Cohorts, 1 Auxiliary Cohort, Auxiliary cavalry, western archers and some slingers and artillery.  At the rear a few civilians, Praetorians and baggage and in blue the dismounted cavalry.  They represent Legio VI Victrix and I have another 5 cohorts of Legio VI and one of Legion IX, 1 Auxiliary cohort, 2 Scorpio and 2 carrobalistae on the work bench or laid out primed.  More troops are on order.  

So more to come!  Oh and there are also Celts to oppose them - Do the enemies of Rome get to appear here too?

[Image: DSCF2710.JPG]
[Image: DSCF2709.JPG]
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
Looking great sir!
Johan T.
(09-24-2020, 05:09 PM)Jehan Gelria Wrote: Looking great sir!
Thanks for the kind words.  The past 2 weeks have been very productive on my painting desk.

[Image: gPYoyPn.jpg]

[Image: AX8giEG.jpg]

[Image: xrk7BRf.jpg]
Alan
Beautiful work!
Marcus

-----------------
My latest build
It has been a while since I updated this thread. Some sub-units and unit added or brought up to full strength.

Medicus (conjectural Vexillum)[Image: UyUWSB1.jpg]

Legionaries wielding dolabrae
[Image: wkWmija.jpg]

Heavy artillery
[Image: r8NQyGl.jpg]

Marines
[Image: DyuvO39.jpg]

Cohors Equitata
Prefect
[Image: cDxXb2b.jpg]
Eques
[Image: rYNHQgQ.jpg]
Pedes
[Image: bGM2WXR.jpg]

On Parade
[Image: 6YjSP7w.jpg]
Alan
My Roman Legion Project is now nearing completion of the main combat units. Like many projects it will probably never really end as there will always be something to add especially as this a multi-purpose project for historical and fantasy role play, skirmish, battle and campaign games. So from time to time I will be adding characters, civilians, terrain and more.

Auxiliary Cohors I Flavia Damascenorum Equitata.
This unit is mixed foot archer and horse archer unit that served on the Rhine frontier.  The foot element are repurposed from the collection to become an actual unit even though it (as far as I know) did not serve in Britannia.
The cavalry element of Auxiliary Cohors I Flavia Damascenorum Equitata Eques. The cavalry are vintage Wrgames Factory the foot are Warlord Games.
[Image: 5kk5SfH.jpg]
and the foot element of Auxiliary Cohors I Flavia Damascenorum Equitata Pedes.
[Image: tUKsboB.jpg]

This final Auxiliary unit for my collection that served on Antonine's Wall Cohors II Equitata Thracum - another mixed cavalry and infantry unit of the type that seems common in Britannia.  The cavalry are vintage Wrgames Factory the foot are Warlord Games.
[Image: iD0iIaC.jpg]
[Image: tAmnkj8.jpg]

and its commanding Prefect (Praefectus) - yes I know he is in archaic Greek armour and will wear it until I can find a more suitable figure ideally both mounted and dismounted.
[Image: eR2vqjM.jpg]

Finally a couple of Capsarii (medics) for my Auxiliaries
[Image: VRsATjG.jpg]
Alan
Very nice, and they look great "on parade" like that. I wonder how much that little lot cost to put together.
"[Crassus]  said that no man was to be accounted rich that could not maintain an army at his own cost..." - Plutarch

-- Harry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Me as a 28mm Roman General dadlamassu 1 461 08-30-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Roman Villa 28mm Colonel Chabert 6 1,112 05-31-2021, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Till_When?
  A little help with 28mm Roman figures kyle 1 2,021 05-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Last Post: damianlz