Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating food
I will post this thought here as well...<br>
.....even if we had the exact items in the exact quanities and cooked by Apicius' own master cook, we might not like the result. The differences in cultural tastes, foods that taste right, are very great in the world today, and things that are yummy in Korea or Viet Nam or Nigeria or Japan or Ukraine or Germany or France or England (and so on), might not please your palate.<br>
Different areas in the USA and different sub-cultures have different tastes in foods, as we can see by the 2 billion US dollars a year "ethnic frozen food" business!<br>
Romans seem to have enjoyed mixing sweets and sours, bitter and tarts, salty and spicey in ways that might seem unpalatable!<br>
Actual posca, (water and vinegar) or wine watered with seawater really takes some getting used to, and we always want to tweak the recipes to make them taste "good". Plus we have mental hurdles to overcome, like eating tongue, or doormice or "hung" pheasant.<br>
Just because a Roman meal doesn't taste "good" does NOT mean you did it wrong!<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Recreating food - by richard - 07-09-2003, 05:23 PM
food - by Musivarius - 07-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Re: food - by Anonymous - 07-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Re:food - by Anonymous - 07-12-2003, 02:44 PM
limit to just authentic ingredients - by richard - 07-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Re: limit to just authentic ingredients - by Caius Fabius - 07-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Re: limit to just authentic ingredients - by Anonymous - 09-23-2003, 01:16 PM