Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athenian Strategoi, Taxiarchs, and Lochagoi
Although the Strategoi were, at one point, elected one for each Phyle, we can tell that at some point during the middle of the 5th Century the Strategoi were elected from among the entire Demos (and you start seeing some Phyle's being over-represented and others missing out).

We know the that the Taxiarchs were elected among the Phyles, so that each Phyle had one Taxiarch.  But it appears to me like there might be two types of Taxiarch: (1) the taxiarch elected each year to represent that Phyle and (2) taxiarchs appointed by the Strategoi leading an expedition for a specific expedition.  The individuals in the second category are probably not the same as in the first, though there was probably some overlap.  We also know that below Taxiarchs, there were Lochagoi.  We don't know how many Lochagoi were beneath a Taxiarch or what size of unit (Lochos) they commanded.  I see a number of references to 100 or 300, but other than the fact that there are repeated references to units of 300 hoplites, I'm not yet convinced that Lochos = 100 hoplites, etc.

Any other thoughts?

We probably rightly conclude that whatever the Athenian command structure, it was probably deficient in terms of battle field command and control - thus, the commentary by Thucydides and Xenophon comparing the Lakedaimonians to everyone else.

The sources I'm relying on are primarily Athenian Officials be Robert Develin and Athenian Generals by Debra Hammel.

Thanks,

John