Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scythian Bow String attatchment
Hello I was wondering if anyone knew the way in which the ancient Greeks attached bow strings to there bows?

I have read it was tied at one end then a ring on the other and you would simply slide the ring up to string the bow.
Any actual evidence for this and any references picture wise so it can be copied if it is indeed true.
(04-26-2020, 08:27 PM)Andrewphayes1 Wrote: Hello I was wondering if anyone knew the way in which the ancient Greeks attached bow strings to there bows?

I have read it was tied at one end then a ring on the other and you would simply slide the ring up to string the bow.
Any actual evidence for this and any references picture wise so it can be copied if it is indeed true.

Hallo and welcome.

I'm not sure about the Greeks, but there are some nice closeups of a Scytho-Siberian bow from Xinjiang on page 6 of this article.  You could call the ends of the string "rings" but they're really loops, which catch on notches at the ends of the staff.  You can indeed string the bow by sliding the loop up the staff.  Personally, I find it easier to have that end loose and hook it over the end.

Ed.: Admittedly, my bow has a very low draw weight (32-33lbs.) so that may make some difference in which technique is easier.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/