Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a La Tene chape at home?
I'm thinking of making a new scabbard for my Irish dagger over the summer, since I'm informed that the waterproof wood glue I used on the first one is likely the reason the blade edges kept rusting.  In the meanwhile, I'd like some critique of the chape I assembled for the first one.  Does it look okay or is it too cheesy?  And if it's not passable, can I fabricate one at home that is, or does an early-style bronze chape really need to be cast?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Does it need to be cast no, if you can make it look cast then job done, to me you have done a excellent job  Smile  I myself always fabricate cast fittings. As to the look I am afraid there are better masters than me for this period.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(04-14-2020, 09:43 AM)Dan D\Silva Wrote: I'm thinking of making a new scabbard for my Irish dagger over the summer, since I'm informed that the waterproof wood glue I used on the first one is likely the reason the blade edges kept rusting.  In the meanwhile, I'd like some critique of the chape I assembled for the first one.  Does it look okay or is it too cheesy?  And if it's not passable, can I fabricate one at home that is, or does an early-style bronze chape really need to be cast?

I've always worked on the assumption (based on evidence) that not all similar items that appear cast in one piece are, many items are made from parts.. so to my mind fabricating an item from sheet metal is fine...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(04-15-2020, 08:04 AM)Crispianus Wrote: I've always worked on the assumption (based on evidence) that not all similar items that appear cast in one piece are, many items are made from parts.. so to my mind fabricating an item from sheet metal is fine...
True, but to make something from sheet metal that looks cast, you need the skill to shape the sheet into multidimensional curves, which I have yet to achieve other than simple domes.  So far I've found very few La Tene-type chapes that look anywhere near this simple, but best I could probably manage would be either remaking the above one in silicon bronze, or a thin imitation of the chape on the Lisnacrogher scabbard in yellow brass.
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Dan can you post a picture of what you would like to do, so I may be able to offer ideas as how to construct  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Something like these would be ideal.  The reason I say a "thin imitation" of the Lisnacrogher chape is that I could easily get some half-round brass rod, bend it into the right outline and add bands and washers, but it wouldn't have the thickened lower end.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Now I see ? it could be made in a few ways. First a hard wood former to the general diamond shape, one of the methods to mind ?
You could make it in two halves ( this would involve silver soldering ) back and front. Use a sheet cut out the general shape, then clamp the metal sandwich style and the gently hammer along the edge around former. Once you have done this you can cut out the centre parts with discs ect in place flattern the join along the edge on both pieces so they come together. This will make the lower part first. Then just tack solder them together, once happy then solder all the way round. Then make two pieces of guttering with discs made already on and join to the bottom part were it narrows and that final band could just be lead soldered on to finish. You can use fire clay to hold components together.
The other idea involves making the two pieces of guttering cutting and bending into shape and then  joining at the base, but describing method  Huh ? you need pictures to help, which I dont have.

As you can see on the dagger sheath made on a former,  but in the shape fot your chape. The other Vimose chape was made in two halves. I hope you can see how the method could be used  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Thanks! I'm getting a scroll saw in a couple days, so I'll be able to make a wooden form.  But if I'm ever able to shape sheet metal like this, it'll take a lot of practice.  Things have a funny way of not working for me.
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy