Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary
Hello,

it's again me! I'm starting to kind of, liking, answering to myself, looks like I got a personal journal here.

I did some researches, reading again and again, and I come to the following conclusions:
- definitely no weighted pilum, it is later. It makes it first appearance in the Cancelleria relief which is dated to Emperor Domitian, so it's very late 1st century. A better option would be a classic Oberaden type pilum. Source: M.C. Bishop, The Pilum the roman heavy javelin 2017, pp. 18-20.

- Pompei gladius miight be chronologically a better option. Mainz found some later use even into the third quarter (there have been one in Pompei), but Pompei was definitely more common. Source: M.C. Bishop, The Gladius 2016, p. 16, pp. 18-25.

- Lorica segmentata Corbridge type A fits better chronologically. The late dating of the Corbridge find and the new pattern from Newstead suggest that the hook connected type B is probably a modification of the former made in the last quarter. So, again type A is better. Source: H.R. Robinson, The armour of Imperial Rome 1975, p. 180.

- Single balteus is surely fine. The problem is baldric or belt? Where do I suspend my gladius? Both seems fine. Source: M.C. Bishop, The early imperial apron 1992, pp. 87-88 fig. 23; p. 91 fig. 41.

Messages In This Thread
Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-01-2020, 11:29 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-09-2020, 08:11 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-13-2020, 07:36 AM