Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identifying the dead
Ave Civitas,

I am writing a novel whose subject is the Battle of Frigidus.
In the aftermath of a battle of that scale, how did they identify the dead?
I have never heard of Roman Army Dog Tags.
I have read somewhere where the soldiers name was etched onto their helmets.

But really.  How did they identify the dead and incapacitated?

Again, thank you in advance,
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(03-16-2020, 05:58 AM)Lothia Wrote: Ave Civitas,

I am writing a novel whose subject is the Battle of Frigidus.
In the aftermath of a battle of that scale, how did they identify the dead?
I have never heard of Roman Army Dog Tags.
I have read somewhere where the soldiers name was etched onto their helmets.

But really.  How did they identify the dead and incapacitated?

Again, thank you in advance,
Tom

Seems likely that at least some would have gear that would be named, also possibly a "Signaculum" though I have no idea if this is correct I understand it to be a name stamp of sorts, see Artefacts for various forms (you need to join to view the link or search for Signaculum)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Really great information.
Thank you guys very much.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Vegetius says that the name of the soldier and his cohort or century were inscribed on his shield (Veg. 2. 18. 2). Cassius Dio speaks of the introduction of the custom of inscribing the name of the soldier and that of his centurion on his shield in c. AD 89 (Cass. Dio, 67. 10. 1).
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Renatus,

Thanks for the reply. I will add this to my notes for when I get to the post-battle scenes.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

In our group we all wear Signacvlvm lead tablets in a pouch around our necks, shields swords ect with names on also. However for your time frame they may have still been in use however a tatoo or brand mark may have been more the norm. As to equipment I must admit I have not seen names on late period swords or helmets compared to 1st AD.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thank you.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

I would be inclined to think that records were kept of men who were in each unit.
So after a battle, a simple gathering up of all the survivors into their respective century/units, should give an easy indication as to who is not present being likely amongst the dead.
That would only indicate who was missing. They might be dead, wounded, captured or have simply fled. The identifying of individual corpses on the battlefield is another matter entirely.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Some Late Roman sources indicate that certain signa (Veg. Mil. I.8; II.5) or state stigmata (CTh. X.22.4) were applied to the hands of tirones and fabricenses (armourers) to prevent desertion. Apparently, these signs were tattoos.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
(06-10-2020, 06:39 PM)Ildar Wrote: Some Late Roman sources indicate that certain signa (Veg. Mil. I.8; II.5) or state stigmata (CTh. X.22.4) were applied to the hands of tirones and fabricenses (armourers) to prevent desertion. Apparently, these signs were tattoos.
Thank you for your response.
AKA Tom Chelmowski