Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weaving Custom Tunics with Woven Clavi
Dear All,

Myself and a friend have custom historical cloth woven by a wool mill in England that we distribute, mostly in the USA.  Up till now we have focused on 18th century textiles.  But coinciding with a research and reconstruction project I am doing for work we are thinking of recreating 1st century wool as well.  I have yet to find any source for fabric with woven clavi short of having it custom woven by a small time weaver.   I've also had issues (coming from the era of broadcloth and kersey) finding wool with the right weight, density, weave, and hand to replicate the drapery seen on sculptures of the period.  

So here's the idea, we'll have yarn dyed fabric woven to replicate extant fabrics from the eastern part of the empire (Mons Claudianus and others) i.e.  white or natural tabby woven wool of the right weight with tapestry-woven clavi in the most common historical colours (hopefully with shadow bands as well).  

We won't be able to replicate an authentic selvedge (RS or RS3) or the starting and finishing borders.  I also don't currently know if we'll have the clavi in the warp or the weft, various factors with play a part in that, including you all.  

My question is if anyone would be interested in such a project going forward?  If so, at what price point?  What would you like to see come out of something like this?  What is the most needed textile for Ancient reenacting that is currently hard to get or that currently has sup-par substitutes?  

Sincerely,

Levi

P.S.  If anyone is interested in contributing in an advisory role on the project, please contact me via PM.
Levi Sherman
Interesting!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Book on Tabular (backstrap) weaving Vitruvius 0 860 09-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius