Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Hair
Many historical sources report that spartans had long hair, and prided themselves with their long hair. Having long hair myself, I know that physical activities can be difficult with long hair. I find myself wearing a beanie or tying my hair up during physical activities. With neither of those being possible while wearing a helmet, the logical option is that they braided their hair. This I think is corroborated by a few statues and vase paintings. I have heard some people suggest that these are dreadlocks, but I find this unlikely because I doubt they would let their hair get dirty or tough like dreadlocks, I have also read that they would comb it out often and dreadlocks would not be able to form then.

So does anyone have any historical evidence, or guesses, about or they braided or what they did to their hair?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

ConnorĀ 
Don't know too much about this but LacusCurtius has this on their website which might be of assistance when looking for sources.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro.../Coma.html

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"