Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek garland
I've been reading Hans van Wees; Greek warfare, myths and realities (which btw for me has been a totally mind-blowing read on Ancient Greek society) and in describing the classical phalanx (which according to Wees exhibited tighter formations in comparison to the more "Homer-styled" fighting typical of archaic warfare) and the spartan advance writes;

"They sang hymns and moved slowly... They also wore garlands, at least up to the point where they halted to perform... their pre-battle blood sacrifice. ...the slow march, hymns, pipers and garlands could not fail to remind onlookers of a religious procession."

What IS a garland?? Are we talking about some kind of olive/laurel wreath or was it some kind of standard? I've been searching around but can't find anything conclusive. Confused. If they "wore it" as a wreath how did they wear it? Over their helmets? Surely they would be wearing helmets during the advance? Or should "they" be interpreted as a few chosen, a general or a priest of some kind? Would an onlooker really spot a garland in an advancing army? Anyone?