Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ballista, scorpio, carroballista, onager etc. usage on the battle fields
Hello,

I would like to collect useful information about the evolution (and eventually involution) of the usage of roman artillery on the battlefield across the centuries.

We know that Scorpio were already used by Cesar in his Gallic campaigns, and that they were successfully used in siege operations, as we can read for the conquest of Jerusalem in the days of Titus. They were used mainly as antipersonnel weapons.

According to Vegetius, each century of a legion was supposed to have been equipped with a mobile scorpion (or carroballista), whilst every cohort possessed a larger ballista. Usage of the carroballista is well depicted in Trajan's column. But we know that roman army in III/IV century was deeply reorganized, so it is difficult to say if roman armies were still flanked by field artilleries. 

At least during the first centuries of the empire, we know that these weapons were effectively used on the battlefield. We have examples for this usage in the second battle of Bedriacum, were a huge Ballista (Tacitus Historie XXIII) created big problems to Marcus Antonius Primus men (and we can see in this battle that pretorian armors were not different from the ones of other soldiers...).

Do we have evidences for the usage of field artillery in III, IV and V century?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
In the early third century there seems to have been a battle involving legio III flavia felix at Harzhorn Hill in Lower Saxony.
Arrowheads and six-inch long spearpoints from ballistae have been found.
(11-11-2019, 09:59 AM)Michael Collins Wrote: In the early third century there seems to have been a battle involving legio III flavia felix at Harzhorn Hill in Lower Saxony.
Arrowheads and six-inch long spearpoints from ballistae have been found.
Yes, I was just going to add related references Smile

The working hypothesis is that Roman troops were surprised on their way back from the North German Plain, when they were probably surprised in the Harzhorn pass, blocked by Germans. Romans fought and, also using their artillery, were able to force the pass and win the day. The bolts found are compatible with Scorpio or Cheiroballista.

The battle is associated to Maximinus the Thrax campaign, around 235 AD, and is a really good example of the fact that at the start of the military anarchy of the third century the field artillery was still common in the legions.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
Yes, that`s the one ! Do you know of a good online source for the archaeological work Marco?
I`ve seen some promising maps in searches, but they were quite low resolution and so I was disappointed. It`d be interesting I think to see the distribution of the scorpion spearpoint finds mapped out.
A good general source is the following: http://www.romaneconomy.ox.ac.uk/
They have an online DB that can be used for searches (http://oxrep.classics.ox.ac.uk/databases/), for example it is possible to see the Shipwrecks Database and sort the output for year (Output/Show Timeline). Unfortunately, it is more related to economy.

It would be really useful to have something similar for military finds.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions re: ballista, scorpio crews sraoses 10 4,444 07-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Onager/ Ballista use in a Roman fort Currahee Chris 5 2,415 03-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell