Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hand in cataloging finds
Salvete omnes,
I am trying to help a future archeologist catalogating some objects which have been found in Neuss, the ancient Novaesium near Düsseldorf. - Germany.
Unfortunately, these objects don´t have any context with only the indication that they have been found there without any reference to where exactly or how. Could be civilian or military pieces.
For some of them I have a vague idea and I wanted to ask the help of the forum by having a look to the attached document.

And here you are my considerations:
object 1: humerale´s hook
object 2: too generic, the diameter of 1,9 cm could lead to a ring from a beneficiarius lance (https://www.roma-victrix.com/images/arma...tae31b.jpg) but the ring is closed so it should not. It´s also IMO too big to be a ring of a helm´s fixing lace...
object 3: could it be a decorative applique for a helm? Or anything else of course...
object 4: diameter 4 cm... a buckle from a cingulum?
object 5: decorative button with a lion´s head... no idea...
object 6: I am sure I have seen the same elsewhere but I couldn´t find it again... and I have used the google image search...
object 7: no clue
object 8: curly baby face... could be anything...

Many thanks to anyone who tries to help

Attached Files
.docx   Kleine Auswahl zu bestimmender Objekte.docx (Size: 553.84 KB / Downloads: 3)

Valete
Claudio Magnatti
Titus Clodius Picens
(10-01-2019, 09:30 PM)claste Wrote: Salvete omnes,
I am trying to help a future archeologist catalogating some objects which have been found in Neuss, the ancient Novaesium near Düsseldorf. - Germany.
Unfortunately, these objects don´t have any context with only the indication that they have been found there without any reference to where exactly or how. Could be civilian or military pieces.
For some of them I have a vague idea and I wanted to ask the help of the forum by having a look to the attached document.

And here you are my considerations:
object 1: humerale´s hook
object 2: too generic, the diameter of 1,9 cm could lead to a ring from a beneficiarius lance (https://www.roma-victrix.com/images/arma...tae31b.jpg) but the ring is closed so it should not. It´s also IMO too big to be a ring of a helm´s fixing lace...
object 3: could it be a decorative applique for a helm? Or anything else of course...
object 4: diameter 4 cm... a buckle from a cingulum?
object 5: decorative button with a lion´s head... no idea...
object 6: I am sure I have seen the same elsewhere but I couldn´t find it again... and I have used the google image search...
object 7: no clue
object 8: curly baby face... could be anything...

Many thanks to anyone who tries to help
Difficult to tell from the small size of the images but heres my interpretation assuming these items are roman era.

1. Nr1459 one half of a Mail closure, see Bishop and Coulston "Roman military Equipment" page 86.
2. Nr3981 as you say too generic but may be a finger ring.
3. Nr3976  assuming its very thin, may be a decorative element from miltary equipment.
4. Nr2005 to difficult to tell but maybe part of a button closure, 4cm seems large though.
5. Nr2006 looks like a roman Hobnail if iron, large size might indicate an early date. "Lions head" conical head?
6. Nr1625 bronze so not a hobnail? decorative rivet or nail head. "Thorsberg" "Lowenkopf" conical head?
7. Nr1979 may be a decorative element (joint) from a patera or mirror handle?
8. Nr--80 semi circular item radiating spikes, not enough to go on, but may be part of a heckle for dressing vegetable fibre, wool, sinew or a leather working tool?
9. Nr2004. looks like a button could be for a cloak or mail.
10. Nr2086. decoration element, decorative head are common elements of later germanic shields etc see "illerup adal" "Thorsberg"
Buttons can be used for a number of different items so the above are only suggestions, see also "button and loop" fasteners.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867